Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Arching font for a title in Pages

Does anyone know how to arch font? I need to arch up and down for a two line title. I am using a MacBook Pro....in Pages.

Thanks!

Mamie

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Nov 16, 2020 1:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2020 2:52 AM

An arch involving text suggests text on a path, and Pages cannot do that, as it would be done in an external graphic tool. This is an example of text on a path, where the circle could disappear leaving on the text as shown:

I know in the past, there have been attempts in the Pages community to achieve the above effect by aligning and rotating single-character Text boxes, and then grouping them. That requires time and patience. The following is an "arch" of five Text boxes as an example that I just did over 15 minutes:

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2020 2:52 AM in response to Mamie72

An arch involving text suggests text on a path, and Pages cannot do that, as it would be done in an external graphic tool. This is an example of text on a path, where the circle could disappear leaving on the text as shown:

I know in the past, there have been attempts in the Pages community to achieve the above effect by aligning and rotating single-character Text boxes, and then grouping them. That requires time and patience. The following is an "arch" of five Text boxes as an example that I just did over 15 minutes:

Nov 17, 2020 4:13 AM in response to Mamie72

Here is an example of text on a path that I did freehand in Affinity Designer v1.8.6. Took about ten minutes. It would take you days in Pages using individual text boxes. This was then exported as PNG with transparent background.

I chose a pencil tool with stroke set to .6 pt to draw the path, and then from the Layout menu, chose Convert to Text Path. Then I entered the text with the artistic text tool using the OpenType-Postscript Cormorant Garamond Medium Italic at 13.5 pt. Unlike Pages, Affinity Designer shows you the entire stylized options for font families in its font menu:

Although Affinity Designer has been in the Mac App Store for years now, Serif offers fully functional free trial when you click the Buy button on their website, I purchased mine from the Mac App Store. There are plenty of tutorials online such as this one. Affinity does not do subscription-ware.

Nov 22, 2020 1:13 AM in response to VikingOSX

This is amazing and exactly what I needed. I am so sorry it has taken me this long to reply but my husband and I have been ill the last week and still struggling.

Now, if I can be as good as what you have displayed for me. This is somewhat new to me but I can't wait to try it. I so appreciate your kin ness and the others in this group who have written back. I did try the first suggestion but it took me adding one text box at a time so long to complete with the title I am working with. I will try this in the next few days after we are feeling better.

Stay safe and thank you all.

Mamie

Arching font for a title in Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.