You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touch ID won't wake from sleep in Big Sur

I have a new MacBook Air 13" which has worked fine until I updated from Catalina to Big Sur. Now touch ID works except for waking from sleep. I have tried deleting the fingerprint and reloading it and it works first time and no more. I have tried unchecking 'unlocking your mac', rebooting and then checking it again and nothing works. It will wake by typing the password but that defeats the object of touch ID.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 16, 2020 5:38 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2020 9:21 AM

Thespis1 wrote:

I have a new MacBook Air 13" which has worked fine until I updated from Catalina to Big Sur. Now touch ID works except for waking from sleep. I have tried deleting the fingerprint and reloading it and it works first time and no more. I have tried unchecking 'unlocking your mac', rebooting and then checking it again and nothing works. It will wake by typing the password but that defeats the object of touch ID.

Verify you have the preference check. If so toggle it a few times to jump start.

>System Preferences>Touchbar

remove/ reset your finger prints if necessary

Use Touch ID on Mac - Apple Support

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 16, 2020 9:21 AM in response to Thespis1

Thespis1 wrote:

Verify you have the preference check. If so toggle it a few times to jump start.

>System Preferences>Touchbar

remove/ reset your finger prints if necessary

Use Touch ID on Mac - Apple Support

Nov 16, 2020 9:34 AM in response to Thespis1

Thespis1 wrote:

Yes it's checked and as I say I have unchecked and rechecked while rebooting in between. I'm not sure what you mean by 'toggle' it?

Sorry I see English is not your first language— from the dictionary:

• Flip the switch
  • change it
  • try it again many times
  • turn it on/turn it off
  • check/uncheck
  • uncheck/check

If no resolve—

Call Customer Support  (800) MYAPPLE (800–692–7753) 

or on line  https://getsupport.apple.com/

or call  AppleCare Support at 1-800-APLCARE (800-275-2273)

Nov 16, 2020 9:41 AM in response to Thespis1

Thespis1 wrote:

English is my first language and I am also aware of the meaning of the word toggle. What wasn't clear was how you meant it to be used in this process, and I still don't. As you would see by reading my original question I have done all the things you seem to be suggesting.

Call Customer Support  (800) MYAPPLE (800–692–7753) 

Touch ID won't wake from sleep in Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.