Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

boot camp not working in big sur

boot camp not working after big sur install on 2017 iMac

Posted on Nov 16, 2020 7:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2020 6:06 AM

EFI Boot on the internal disk is Windows. It is a naming issue on Big Sur. Once you boot into Windows, click on the Diamond icon, switch to macOS and then use System Preferences -> Startup Disks to switch to Windows.

14 replies

Nov 17, 2020 1:38 AM in response to 23Laurie

I have this issue also but the selection of EFI Boot, after holding Option key, does make Windows boot up after a couple of goes (but unreliable). When I looked up EFI Boot, it is supposed to represent the Time Machine backup drive (which I don't have).

I have found another way to restart to Windows - using the Startup Disk option to get from MacOS to Windows. To get back from Windows just click on Bootcamp icon in system tray and select restart to MacOS. A work around for now...

Nov 17, 2020 5:50 AM in response to 23Laurie

I have this issue also and I deleted the bootcamp partition. After that I found that it is impossible to install windows again. The problem is that when the windows installation should start from usb after the bootcamp wizard finishes creating the partition the mac restarts and boot, but fails and restarts once again in BigSur. I also tried to press option key when the installer should boot but after manually choosing Windows install it tells me that there is nothing bootable. I reinstalled OS Catalina from scratch and using the same windows installer usb I managed to install a windows on bootcamp. Now the booting is normal in both mac and windows. But if I choose to press option key after chime it shows me EFI BOOT not Windows or Bootcamp, given it starts without problems. Now I will try to make another update to BigSur and see if the problem persists. I'll be back with the results.

Nov 17, 2020 6:21 AM in response to Loner T

Loner T wrote:

EFI Boot on the internal disk is Windows. It is a naming issue on Big Sur.

In Catalina is also called EFI Boot after a clean install of Mac OS and Bootcamp

Once you boot into Windows, click on the Diamond icon, switch to macOS and then use System Preferences -> Startup Disks to switch to Windows.

I will try this after I update to Big Sur again. Thank you!

Nov 17, 2020 10:39 AM in response to BigDaveF75

Many thanks to Loner T, BigDaveF75 & Cisilvu for their suggestions. I will mark this as solved in a moment as i can now access Windows. Following Big Dave's method is the best for me out of necessity but it is not as elegant as before (no offence intended). I hope this issue its addressed by Apple in an upcoming release. I am surprised that it was not in their release notes.

Again... thank you and stay safe an apart.

boot camp not working in big sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.