Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Resizing phots

I guess I must be doing something wrong when I resize photos with preview.

I often takes photos on my Iphone, which I then share via airdrop to my mac (photos). Next, I export the photos to my desktop and then try to resize the photo using preview (from 3500 px to 1000 px). However, when doing so, the photos loose a lot of their quality.

Can someone help me what I am doing wrong?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 16, 2020 8:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2020 9:12 AM

How are you exporting the photo from Photos? Are you using "File > export > Export unmodified Original", or are you just dragging the thumbnail from Photos?

And how are you saving the downsized photo in Preview?

You could directly export a downsized version from Photos and avoid the detour to Preview, or the quality loss will accumulate.

Select the photo you air dropped, then use "File > Export > Export one Photo", then use the export settings:

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2020 9:12 AM in response to Jan_from_Leuven

How are you exporting the photo from Photos? Are you using "File > export > Export unmodified Original", or are you just dragging the thumbnail from Photos?

And how are you saving the downsized photo in Preview?

You could directly export a downsized version from Photos and avoid the detour to Preview, or the quality loss will accumulate.

Select the photo you air dropped, then use "File > Export > Export one Photo", then use the export settings:

Resizing phots

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.