Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac won't read video files from my SanDisk SD card

So I have a Canon Vixia W11 camcorder, and most of the time when I record videos with it, it works well and my mac can read it, NOT UNTIL I updated my MacBook to the "Catalina" like 2-3 weeks ago...

When I first got my SD card I already formatted the camcorder to save all of my contents to the SD card not towards the "built in memory" of the camcorder. So before Catalina, I used to just plug in my SD card my Photos application pops out and I could just import all of my videos from my SD card to Photos and that's it. NOW it wont even show my videos anymore ONLY my photos from my SD card is showing.

P.S. It's able to recognize all the photo files, just not all the video files. The video files won't even show up when I go through finder to look at it in the folder at all.

I hope someone can help me, because I REALLY need to import my videos from my camcorder to my mac to save all of my life-long memories that I've recorded so far with my camcorder....

Thanks in advance!

-AG

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 16, 2020 1:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2020 1:55 PM

Catalina dropped support for some older video formats.

See here

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT209029

You'll need to consider the codec used, not just the file extension.

3 replies

Mac won't read video files from my SanDisk SD card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.