Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to run an Apple SuperDrive on a new M1 chip MacBook Pro

I have a new MacBook Pro on order. How can I most easily connect an Apple SuperDrive to it to play DVDs?

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Nov 16, 2020 1:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2020 2:21 PM

Thanks for your help. I checked and that's $69. I was able to find 2 tiny port adapters in a package on Amazon for $9, so I think I'll go that route.

https://smile.amazon.com/Syntech-Adapter-Thunderbolt-Compatible-MacBook/dp/B07CVX3516/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=USB-C+to+USB-A+%28USB+3%29+Adapter+Cable&qid=1605564464&sr=8-4

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2020 2:21 PM in response to Phil0124

Thanks for your help. I checked and that's $69. I was able to find 2 tiny port adapters in a package on Amazon for $9, so I think I'll go that route.

https://smile.amazon.com/Syntech-Adapter-Thunderbolt-Compatible-MacBook/dp/B07CVX3516/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=USB-C+to+USB-A+%28USB+3%29+Adapter+Cable&qid=1605564464&sr=8-4

Dec 20, 2020 11:34 PM in response to billhart2411

If you look at the photo from the Amazon link, you'll see that this little port adapter goes into the Thunderbolt 3/USB4 port on the M1 MacBook Pro so the USB-A plug from the Apple SuperDrive plugs into the adapter then into the port on the Mac so it gets the power it needs. It works great for me on my M1 MacBook Pro. I do have the Apple dongle to do the same thing (for about $20), but I wouldn't have needed to buy it in addition to these 2 port adapters.

Jan 19, 2021 9:02 AM in response to fotofah

I had this same problem. I just bought the new MacBook Pro with the M1 Chip and found that the SuperDrive does not work with the Satechi USB-C Multiport Pro adapter they gave me in the store; the disk isn't even accepted all the way in. The Superdrive I have is copyrighted 2012 on the back and has the Model No. A1379. I bought the adapter that was linked above from Amazon and it works! May take a second for your machine to pick up on the DVD but it does work! I suggest ensuring your laptop is fully charged as this accessory will most likely use a lot of power, and if not, keep your laptop plugged in. Definitely recommend :)

Jan 19, 2021 9:08 AM in response to fotofah

The Apple SuperDrive requires about 900 milliAmps, well above the old 500 milliAmp standard for USB-A ports. Many adapters/Hubs do not supply enough power to the USB-A to run the drive.

 menu > about this Mac > (system report) > USB or appropriate interface

should report on power requirements and consumption as well as device status.

How to run an Apple SuperDrive on a new M1 chip MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.