Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari update 14.0.1 issue uploading files

Is anyone else unable to attach or upload a file after Safari update 14.0.1. I'm using Mohave 10.14.6

iMac, OS X 10.10

Posted on Nov 16, 2020 3:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2020 9:34 PM

Same here. After updating Safari to 14.0.1 I was unable to upload any files. Called Apple support on 11/16/2020. They had me on hold for 45 minutes. When they finally connected me with a technician, I was on the line with him for another 40 minutes and resolved nothing. He suggested that I install Chrome or Firefox. Unbelievable, Apple installs a crappy update, they can’t fix it, and their solution is to install someone else’s software.

256 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2020 9:34 PM in response to ctoomeyaustin

Same here. After updating Safari to 14.0.1 I was unable to upload any files. Called Apple support on 11/16/2020. They had me on hold for 45 minutes. When they finally connected me with a technician, I was on the line with him for another 40 minutes and resolved nothing. He suggested that I install Chrome or Firefox. Unbelievable, Apple installs a crappy update, they can’t fix it, and their solution is to install someone else’s software.

Nov 19, 2020 3:34 PM in response to Tumbach

@Tumbach CommandR will re-install the OS that your computer originally came with...

If you want to install a specific MacOS different from what yours originally came with, follow this link instead

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683

Clicking on the MacOS version you do want, will bring you to the MacAppStore download page for that version

Once it finishes downloading it will prompt you to install it

I tried CommandR first, but it prompted me to install HighSierra for my 2018 MBP

I wanted to remain on Mojave so I followed the steps above and now I'm good to go

Dec 6, 2020 10:00 PM in response to Mark Sealey

I just went through this tonight with 5(!) different tech people. The issue is that the last Mojave/Safari update messed up. They recommended either a) installing and running Chrome browser or b) upgrading Mojave to Catalina. They provided the webpage https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683 to obtain Catalina without upgrading OS all the way to Big Sur. I ran the install for Catalina and the problem was solved.

Jan 15, 2021 10:07 AM in response to JubJubJG

I was able to get back to uploading files from Safari by regressing to Safari 13.1.3 when I updated to OS Catalina. I refuse to update Safari until this bug is fixed. You may get some relief from https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683 . I stress..."MAY". For Apple to suggest installing a different browser, "Chrome", seems more than a bit silly...recommending that you use someone else's browser! Apple, you are dropping the ball big time by either a) refusing, or b) unable to fix the bug. For users who have not yet updated Safari (or updated their iOS which seems to include the latest Safari), I recommend turning "OFF" your "auto-update" and checking before making any OS or Safari updates.

Dec 11, 2020 5:24 PM in response to d24kbfubekjfbwkjcn

The workaround I've found is to drag&drop the file you want to upload onto the choose file button (or whatever it has been titled) - which links the operation to the file allowing it to be uploaded as per normal.

Here's showing it working on Joomla media section.

And weirdly the attach file operation works fine with this forum with Safari 4.01 - it opens up a normal finder window allowing navigation to find the file. Most odd.

Nov 16, 2020 6:57 PM in response to ctoomeyaustin

I have the same problem. At first I thought it was a quirk for a particular site.

But have now come across two other sites where the button to the file dialog to allow me to pick a file in the Finder does nothing.

JavaScript is enabled.

My VPN is disconnected and the sites which no longer work (they did before) are not ad-blocked.

Could it be an Extension?

Safari update 14.0.1 issue uploading files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.