Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot remove Search Marquis

I have followed all the instructions posted here to remove search marquis but it still persists. I have even downloaded and run malware bytes and the CC anti-virus software both of which found and got rid suspicious .exe programs (now say clean) but still Safari is being hijacked. It has gotten so bad that tonight I had to switch devices to even get to the Apple site to ask for help. Typically, I do not download willy-nilly on to my computer so I have no idea where this came from, I only know this started on my MacBook Pro 16 inch 2019 after the Big Sur update. Any suggestions anyone?

Posted on Nov 16, 2020 4:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2020 3:20 PM

The Apple and Google files are legitimate and can remain. If you experience "Search Marquis" and its ilk again please write back.

I do not know what "CC anti-virus software" is but all similarly categorized products are worthless, at best. For example, .exe programs are inert on macOS. It's not at all unusual for malicious websites to attempt to deposit malicious files in one's Downloads folder, but their mere presence can do nothing. If you did not explicitly request a file to be downloaded to your Mac by all means drag it to the Trash, but macOS does not intervene unless you deliberately open a file. Then, additional defenses are implemented that serve to protect Mac users from themselves. As for macOS, it takes care of itself.

Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2020 3:20 PM in response to k_ok

The Apple and Google files are legitimate and can remain. If you experience "Search Marquis" and its ilk again please write back.

I do not know what "CC anti-virus software" is but all similarly categorized products are worthless, at best. For example, .exe programs are inert on macOS. It's not at all unusual for malicious websites to attempt to deposit malicious files in one's Downloads folder, but their mere presence can do nothing. If you did not explicitly request a file to be downloaded to your Mac by all means drag it to the Trash, but macOS does not intervene unless you deliberately open a file. Then, additional defenses are implemented that serve to protect Mac users from themselves. As for macOS, it takes care of itself.

Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community

Nov 17, 2020 3:28 AM in response to k_ok

Getting rid of "Search Marquis" is easy and you don't need to install anything. Uninstall whatever you installed in an effort to uninstall it.

To ascertain the cause so that you can eliminate it, start by inspecting the contents of the following folder:

~/Library/LaunchAgents

To open that folder, copy the entire line above and paste it in the Finder's Go menu > Go to Folder... field. Make it look like this:

... and click the Go button.

A Finder window will open. Make sure all its file names are readable by selecting View > as List or other selection that shows that folder's complete contents. Then, take a screenshot of that Finder window.

Often, there is nothing in that Launch Agents folder so don't be surprised to find it empty.

In the same manner as the above, navigate to this next folder:

/Library/LaunchDaemons

The Finder's Go menu > Go to Folder... field should look like this:

... and click the Go button once again.

Once again ensure all its files and their names are readable and capture a screenshot.

Then, repeat that exercise with the following folder:

/Library/LaunchAgents

Notice its pathname is different than the other two. The Finder's Go menu > Go to Folder... field should look like this:

In the end, you will have captured the contents of the following three separate folders:

~/Library/LaunchAgents

/Library/LaunchDaemons

/Library/LaunchAgents

All three will be saved to your Mac's Desktop with names "Screen Shot... " followed by the date and time they were captured. Please be sure to include or otherwise indicate the name of the folder that corresponds to each screenshot, so that you and I can keep track of which ones they are.

Post the entire contents of all three windows, one at a time, using the "picture" icon that appears below your reply text:

Nov 17, 2020 7:11 AM in response to John Galt

Hello,

I followed all of these steps before I downloaded malware bytes and the antivirus in further attempts to cure my MacBook's problems. Although I did find some suspect items, I ended up having to walk back the update and re-installing to fix the issue because I was ultimately blocked from using Safari to access the Apple site completely. I felt like I was spiraling down a rabbit hole in the middle of an interstate move when I need this thing most desperately. I have done as you requested this morning (since the walk-back and reinstall). I am not currently having any issues. My concern is, this MacBook didn't have anything on it that my MacBook Air (1 yr older) currently doesn't have on it; updated with Big Sur at the same time, and hasn't experienced any issues. So, I'm not sure where the problem originated and now I'm a bit gun-shy with the Air. Posting the screenshots I took this morning, as requested. Prior to the reset, I had a bunch of "apple" and "google" plists that aren't listed anywhere on the internet as dangerous so I didn't know I needed to remove them.

For example,

google.keystone.agent.plist

google.keystone.xpcservice.plist

apple.installer.osmessagetracingplist

are all currently on my MacBook Air and were on the MacBook Pro while I was having difficulty.

Dec 15, 2020 2:48 PM in response to k_ok

I have had trouble with Search Marquis - it interferes with my use of the computer, ever since the recent OS download. I have lost the functionality in the return key, which makes writing a pain. I bought the Macworld recommended antivirus/malware software from www.intego.com which seemed to work initially - but two days later it's reverted to search marquis with all that that entails. Reading of this problem I realise I'm not alone - but that doesn't help. Do I jettison the MacBook Pro and buy another make or is it possible to repair my Apple?

Cannot remove Search Marquis

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.