Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID verification unknown error on iPad 8 after update

After updating to 14.2, I was somehow logged out of my Apple ID on my iPad 8. Now I’m unable to log in and get verification failed, unknown error. I’ve reset, etc but can’t log in. Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on Nov 16, 2020 9:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2020 11:43 AM

The only think that worked was a full re-set and delete of the iPad and starting from scratch. I could not use the iCloud backup as something on it was causing the issue. Obviously not ideal to re-install all the apps, etc but at least it’s working now....

6 replies

Nov 16, 2020 10:50 PM in response to Hopkinspath

Hopkinspath Said:

"Apple ID verification unknown error on iPad 8 after update:[...] After updating to 14.2, I was somehow logged out of my Apple ID on my iPad 8. Now I’m unable to log in and get verification failed, unknown error. I’ve reset, etc but can’t log in. Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated."

-------

Any Security Software Installed?:

If there is Security Software installed, you may be connected to a VPN. If so, uninstall it. Use the correct Uninstaller for it. Get it from none other than the manufacturer. Getting it elsewhere may result in malware (Malicious Software) or spyware being installed.

Nov 17, 2020 4:41 AM in response to TheLittles

TheLittles wrote:

Use the correct Uninstaller for it. Get it from none other than the manufacturer. Getting it elsewhere may result in malware (Malicious Software) or spyware being installed.

@TheLittles

iPad isn’t like a Windows PC or Mac. The correct “Uninstaller” for Apps is the iPad, itself, removing the App; otherwise, the only other “uninstaller” is total reset of the iPad.

Unless the iPad is Jailbroken, or the device is managed by an Enterprise MDM Platform, iPad Apps can only be installed from the Apple App Store; side-loading from other sources isn’t possible.

Nov 17, 2020 6:12 PM in response to LotusPilot

LotusPilot Said:

"iPad isn’t like a Windows PC or Mac. The correct “Uninstaller” for Apps is the iPad, itself, removing the App; otherwise, the only other “uninstaller” is total reset of the iPad. Unless the iPad is Jailbroken, or the device is managed by an Enterprise MDM Platform, iPad Apps can only be installed from the Apple App Store; side-loading from other sources isn’t possible."

-------

Point Being: Keep Security Software off of your device - VPN settings (if included) will get in the way.

Nov 18, 2020 8:45 AM in response to TheLittles

TheLittles wrote:

Point Being: Keep Security Software off of your device - VPN settings (if included) will get in the way.

Unqualified and poor advice.

Not all “security software” is bad for iPad. Neither does all security software have negative impact upon operation of iPad. A VPN connection, by design, can limit connectivity. Far better to educate correct usage of VPN - than to advocate total removal of all potentially important security measures.

Apple ID verification unknown error on iPad 8 after update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.