Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur update bricked my 13’ MacBook Pro Mid 2014

As mentioned by many users, I’m having the same situation with my MacBook Pro and cannot find a solution. I’m talking to Apple Support and they have not been able to help. My computer is in a black screen that I can’t get away from.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 17, 2020 8:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2020 9:26 AM

I too have a bricked early 2015 MacBook Pro, 13". What is odd is, I used it all along since June as part of the Developer Beta Program without issue. Several times I booted off a USB drive and reformatted the entire drive and installed Big Sur just fine. When the final release came out, I again reformatted using the external drive and installed Big Sur no problem whatsoever. Then, a week later I began to see odd kernel panics. I decided to reformat and try again hoping it wasn't hardware and now all attempts to install fail. I've tried reformatting (can see my internal SSD) then installing. No. I've tried using internet recovery, reformatting and installing, nope. I downloaded the Catalina full installer, made a second USB drive and reformatted, then tried to go back to Catalina, nope. It says install error. So, my Macbook Pro 13, which was near perfect condition, is DOA. If Apple would accept it as a trade in for a new Macbook Air M1, I'd jump and we can leave the lawyers out of this. : )

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2020 9:26 AM in response to ramsesjose

I too have a bricked early 2015 MacBook Pro, 13". What is odd is, I used it all along since June as part of the Developer Beta Program without issue. Several times I booted off a USB drive and reformatted the entire drive and installed Big Sur just fine. When the final release came out, I again reformatted using the external drive and installed Big Sur no problem whatsoever. Then, a week later I began to see odd kernel panics. I decided to reformat and try again hoping it wasn't hardware and now all attempts to install fail. I've tried reformatting (can see my internal SSD) then installing. No. I've tried using internet recovery, reformatting and installing, nope. I downloaded the Catalina full installer, made a second USB drive and reformatted, then tried to go back to Catalina, nope. It says install error. So, my Macbook Pro 13, which was near perfect condition, is DOA. If Apple would accept it as a trade in for a new Macbook Air M1, I'd jump and we can leave the lawyers out of this. : )

Dec 16, 2020 6:09 AM in response to Dana Higbee

I was VERY clear to them that this was THEIR responsibility. I showed them these Apple communities where it was clear that it was an issue with the upgrade and that I had done nothing wrong. I have no problem if you use me as an example of how they recognized their error and took responsibility for the fix. At the end of the day they even recognized that changing the logic board had done nothing to fix the problem (After they changed it the computer wasn't bricked, but it still couldn't load the OS). They had to reformat the hard drive and install the OS from scratch, AND they told me NOT to upgrade to Big Sur because it was a software problem with the upgrade that had bricked my computer and that the engineering team was STILL working on it.

Hope this helps Dana. Happy holidays!

Big Sur update bricked my 13’ MacBook Pro Mid 2014

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.