Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Microphone not working

My microphone is not working on my MacBook Pro. In the system settings,

it shows an internal microphone. but there are no response dots when I speak. Anytime I use Zoom, no one can hear me unless I use my bluetooth headset. I tried apple support by telephone, and they sent me to a store, who fixed it by doing a "control-option-shift-power down" simultaneously and tested it using voicememo. I was happy to not have to send my laptop out for repair. Then it didn't work for my next zoom call- back to the headset. And I repeated the sequence that worked for the guy in the shop, no luck this time. Anybody got suggestions?

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Nov 17, 2020 9:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2020 9:25 AM

sorry if this doesn't work but maybe try pressing command + space (basically open spotlight search) and look up "audio midi setup" and after opening that you'll want to go through all your audio devices and make sure your microphone volume is up, "ZoomAudioDevice" is up for the input section, etc, and here I am mostly, just to mention, looking for audio inputs like "Built-in Microphone" and stuff like that, make sure all your input volumes are set to 0.5 (you can set it higher though but ONLY if you know what your doing, it can make your audio sound compressed if you don't know what your doing and max it out), here you can also, if you want, increase the sample rate of different things and stuff (basically increase the audio quality), but be careful because some, not all, but some apps may act a little weird with an uncommon sample rate or format, but, for the most part, the problem sounds to be that the system for some reason turned down your microphone volume and in here is where you'd fix that (if this is the problem), I hope this helps and again, I'm really sorry if not

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2020 9:25 AM in response to KyleK9

sorry if this doesn't work but maybe try pressing command + space (basically open spotlight search) and look up "audio midi setup" and after opening that you'll want to go through all your audio devices and make sure your microphone volume is up, "ZoomAudioDevice" is up for the input section, etc, and here I am mostly, just to mention, looking for audio inputs like "Built-in Microphone" and stuff like that, make sure all your input volumes are set to 0.5 (you can set it higher though but ONLY if you know what your doing, it can make your audio sound compressed if you don't know what your doing and max it out), here you can also, if you want, increase the sample rate of different things and stuff (basically increase the audio quality), but be careful because some, not all, but some apps may act a little weird with an uncommon sample rate or format, but, for the most part, the problem sounds to be that the system for some reason turned down your microphone volume and in here is where you'd fix that (if this is the problem), I hope this helps and again, I'm really sorry if not

Nov 17, 2020 10:01 AM in response to KyleK9

oh HEY, I'm so sorry one, I am sending this 20 minutes after sending that other reply and two, that I forgot about this overall, if you want to know what the command they did was and how to do it correctly (I cannot believe I forgot to mention it), here, it resets the smc as seen here, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295 , I suspect your resetting it wrong and I'd really take a look at the article, and also its a good opportunity to see if you have a MacBook Pro with the T2 chip, and also another very amazing command that you could try is this, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063 , it resets your NVRAM and PRAM, it probably won't be nearly as good as resetting the smc but its still worth a shot, I suggest you reset the smc (first link I sent is how to do it) first though and if that doesn't work, then try resetting the nvram and pram with the second link, then if both of those somehow fail then try what I put in the first reply (about audio midi setup), I hope this (and the other reply I sent) helps and I wish you luck

Macbook Pro Microphone not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.