Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notes on new iPad mini missing advertised features

I am missing the “A” pencil in notes on my iPad mini and am unable to convert handwriting to text. Is there a special version of notes that I need to have for this feature? All of the videos I watched had it as a regular feature but my notes is different.

iPad mini, iOS 9

Posted on Nov 17, 2020 10:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2020 10:46 AM

The Scribble Pencil (with the “A”) is only seen on models of iPad that support Apple Pencil and iPadOS14.

The tags appended to post suggest that you have an iPad mini with iOS9 installed. If this information is correct, you have an original first generation iPad mini - that neither supports Apple Pencil not iPadOS14.

For models of iPad that do support Pencil and iPadOS14, Scribble mist be enabled in Settings:

Settings > Apple Pencil > Scribble - set to ON

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2020 10:46 AM in response to Double-bluff

The Scribble Pencil (with the “A”) is only seen on models of iPad that support Apple Pencil and iPadOS14.

The tags appended to post suggest that you have an iPad mini with iOS9 installed. If this information is correct, you have an original first generation iPad mini - that neither supports Apple Pencil not iPadOS14.

For models of iPad that do support Pencil and iPadOS14, Scribble mist be enabled in Settings:

Settings > Apple Pencil > Scribble - set to ON

Notes on new iPad mini missing advertised features

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.