Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur -sound distortion from online video chats over Safari

Using Safari for online chats or Telehealth appts. When the other party speaks, I hear a static-like clicking as if the microphone just picks up the initial sound of each word.

And then!

After a few seconds of them speaking, somehow the distortion is cleared and I can hear them speaking. This only happens with live voice speaking. YouTube videos and Zoom are fine, and over Firefox browser also fine. Support was not able to help.

Posted on Nov 17, 2020 10:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2020 8:07 AM

CommUserNm Said:

———/

Provide your Feedback:

Do your Part: Inform Apple of your feedback of this issue. Include how you’ve troubleshot this, and your results. Apple wont get back to you directly, but the more feedback they receive from its users, the more likely they will know what needs to be fixed, and what their customers prefer in updates, and future macOS versions to come.

1. Go Here: Feedback - macOS - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Select: "Installation/Setup" for the "Feedback Area"
  4. Proceed from there as necessary

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2020 8:07 AM in response to CommUserNm

CommUserNm Said:

———/

Provide your Feedback:

Do your Part: Inform Apple of your feedback of this issue. Include how you’ve troubleshot this, and your results. Apple wont get back to you directly, but the more feedback they receive from its users, the more likely they will know what needs to be fixed, and what their customers prefer in updates, and future macOS versions to come.

1. Go Here: Feedback - macOS - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Select: "Installation/Setup" for the "Feedback Area"
  4. Proceed from there as necessary

Nov 20, 2020 7:55 AM in response to CommUserNm

I'm having the same problem, only through Safari. Multiple video platforms (Google Meet, Theranest, etc.) garble the audio for usually 2-3 minutes before it clears up. Other person can always hear me fine, and when they leave a meeting and come back that sometimes fixes it. Only started happening since Big Sur update, and is a major problem with important meetings/telehealth.

Nov 30, 2020 11:29 AM in response to Maliath

After further testing and consistent issues, it does appear to be a Safari issue due to the Big Sur update. I still haven't found a fix, and I'm hoping/assuming Apple will release a patch soon. In the meantime, I've shifted to Chrome for any video meetings I have, and I haven't had any issues with it. It's not ideal to have to work around like that, but at least it's possible.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.