Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone email "No password provided" error

Suddenly cannot get email on my iphone with iOS 14.2. I get the message that there is no password provided. I have rebooted the phone. I have gone to settings and re-entered my password for the incoming and outgoing mail servers. Am jstill getting the same message that there is no password provided.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Nov 17, 2020 1:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2021 8:44 PM

The solution in this article is ineffective. Using IOS 14.2 on my iPad and iPhone. I have had to delete and recreate the mail account already because of certificate errors. Now the system keeps telling me that no password is provided. This is not a password error or an account settings error on my part as I am using the exact same information on my MacBook Pro which is still able to send and receive emails. I believe that the fact my MacBook can send and receive should be sufficient evidence that there is not a problem with my provider. This issue with failing to send and receive on my iOS devices popped up in the last 2 days and no matter how many times I delete and recreate the account, the message persists about no password provided. When I have provided an incorrect password, it tells me the password is incorrect. Here I have provided the password, yet it tells me it is not present.

138 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2021 8:44 PM in response to Jessturtle

The solution in this article is ineffective. Using IOS 14.2 on my iPad and iPhone. I have had to delete and recreate the mail account already because of certificate errors. Now the system keeps telling me that no password is provided. This is not a password error or an account settings error on my part as I am using the exact same information on my MacBook Pro which is still able to send and receive emails. I believe that the fact my MacBook can send and receive should be sufficient evidence that there is not a problem with my provider. This issue with failing to send and receive on my iOS devices popped up in the last 2 days and no matter how many times I delete and recreate the account, the message persists about no password provided. When I have provided an incorrect password, it tells me the password is incorrect. Here I have provided the password, yet it tells me it is not present.

Jan 30, 2021 7:55 AM in response to KnightPhoto

Having the same issue since the latest update 14.4. Everything was working fine, update phone and one of 5 email addresses is getting the error message. I have deleted it and reloaded it multiple times to no avail. Apple supports go to bs article that they keep posting is quite disheartening to say the least. This email account is still working fine on multiple devices just not the updated phone.

Apple needs to get this fixed.

Nov 25, 2020 2:17 PM in response to Jessturtle

Hello there, Jessturtle!

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! It sounds like you have an issue receiving emails on your iPhone. Check out this article If you can't receive email on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. This article will give you additional steps you can try for issues receiving emails on your device.

Let us know the results and have a great day!

Jan 29, 2021 10:44 AM in response to JAA-C

Likewise I get the error 'cannot get mail' 'no password provided for xxxx'

Several odd things - NOTE: I have two of my own domain email accounts in addition to my @me.com account:

• the @me email is working fine
  • when I setup my first personal domain email I had to tell my iPhone to trust my email provider's certificate since for whatever reason Apple feels the Certificate is invalid (it is a VALID certificate just Apple seems to have issues with it). I had to do this Trust override on my Mac too so I was expecting this problem
  • No problems so far everything works
  • but WHEN I add my SECOND email address from my domain (I use two different emails addresses at my personal domain), it is only then that I start to get complaints from Mail about 'no password provided', and get this it is not complaining the password is missing from the SECOND email address, it complains the password is missing from the FIRST email address. Remember per previous bullet the FIRST email address at my domain was working FINE before I added the second email.
  • Rubbish performance on Apple's part
  • Here's an ironic kicker, BOTH my email addresses actually work on both my iPhone and my Mac both incoming and outgoing. It just throws this error occasionally even though it actually works ;-) Like I say seems pretty sketchy on Apple's part as I have spent hours and hours trying to figure this out

Mar 28, 2021 5:48 PM in response to CGD32

For all of those with ATT accounts, I had to get a 'secure mail key from ATT and use it during the email account setup process where it asked for password. Overall, it was a very frustrating process and I was shocked when it finally started working. It really should not be this confusing. I did the following.

1. Got the secure mail key by logging into ATT account and going to profile and requesting the key.

2. Deleted existing yahoo/att email account from iPhone

3. Adding the new 'other' email account using the steps is the article, https://www.serversettings.email/att.net-email-server-settings-imap.php#iphone

*** use email key where it asks for password

Thank you to all that posted some information on the topic because there does not appear to be a 100% clear answer for all situations.

Jun 17, 2021 6:59 AM in response to sc0222

As I have posted several times:

There are several posts in this thread with solutions for AT&T-hosted accounts. Here are links to 3 of them:

Others:

Feb 5, 2021 9:07 AM in response to Ludetrouble

Super irritated as well having the same exact problem. Support said that they would call me back and walk me through a process where I actually had to connect my laptop and do this whole extravagant reset. This should be a simple fix but it’s not, and how unfortunate it is. I now have to use The actual email app from my provider just to get access.

Mar 6, 2021 1:55 PM in response to Jessturtle

My email is not working (sending or receiving) on my iphone 8. Error message says the phone is not connected to iCloud and I need to provide a password in mail accounts. The operating system is updated. I went through the steps in the article "If you can't receive email on your iPhone..." Some steps would not work, e.g. Turn mail off then back on (the button would not turn off). Also I can not check storage because of the lack of iCloud connection. I was in the process of changing to more secure passwords when this occurred so probably I push a wrong button. I just want to be able to check my email on my phone again.

Apr 28, 2021 9:57 AM in response to Rhyyno

I got the No Password Provided on my Pacbell account, which I still use! I tried everything, including deleting the account, nothing worked. Followed your advice and got the Secure Mail Key from my ATT account online. I used the Secure Mail Key as my password and it worked instantly. Thank you for posting, much appreciated

iPhone email "No password provided" error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.