Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I test the fall detection feature?

I'd like to test whether fall detection is working on my Apple Watch. How do I do this without falling down?

Apple Watch SE, watchOS 7

Posted on Nov 17, 2020 2:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2020 5:28 AM

That's not terribly helpful. I'm testing this for my 90 year-old mother-in-law, and I've tried falling, slamming down on the bed, tripping. In fact, pretty much everything but throwing the apple watch, and nothing happens. Before I trust this device to provide an alert if she falls, which will be certainly less traumatic than any of the falls I've taken with it, I'd like to know that it will actually do something.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2020 5:28 AM in response to Blaino103

That's not terribly helpful. I'm testing this for my 90 year-old mother-in-law, and I've tried falling, slamming down on the bed, tripping. In fact, pretty much everything but throwing the apple watch, and nothing happens. Before I trust this device to provide an alert if she falls, which will be certainly less traumatic than any of the falls I've taken with it, I'd like to know that it will actually do something.

Nov 20, 2020 8:04 AM in response to Blaino103

Thanks -- yes, that was very clear in the support materials. Of course, that depends on the individual in question being conscious, and the main point of fall detection is for it to respond when the individual is, in fact, unconscious. I've been able to test other fall detection devices by dropping them onto a pillow, but it seems that doesn't work with the Apple Watch.

Nov 20, 2020 7:54 AM in response to philbur84

While there is no way to test the Fall Detection, it might help to know that in the case she does fall, and needs to contact Emergency Services, holding the Side Button down for 5 seconds will begin an S.O.S countdown. Which can help in case the Fall Detection feature does not work.

View the Official Apple Article Here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206983

Nov 20, 2020 8:08 AM in response to philbur84

Ok, while there’s no designated way to test Apple Watch fall detection, I’m sure you’ve been able to figure something out. Here are some tips:

1. Make sure the Apple Watch is tight on your wrist when you’re falling. (This can help prevent it from thinking you’re just moving your arm around)
  2. Try to fall unusually violently. (This will increase the chance to set off a Fall Detection notice)
  3. Make sure to lie still for 30 seconds - a minute after falling. (One of the thinks fall detection looks for is movement, so make sure to stay still for a while after you fall for the best results)

~ Let me know what you find out!

Nov 20, 2020 8:23 AM in response to philbur84

Dropping on a pillow would not generate enough G-force for it to replicate a fall. I can tell you with mine, I have to be careful about doing certain things with my left arm, which is the one I wear my watch on. I've found that if I bang my fist on a counter, I can trigger it. If I hold the trunk lid of my car with my left hand a slam it shut, that can also trigger it. Not always, but many times. I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing and when working on something and trying to jam to pieces of wood together that were just not lining up correctly, I banged them with my fist and that set it off. Each time I've been able to stop it from calling 9-1-1, since I had not really fallen. I did fall from a ladder once, and it registered the fall as well. It would seem it has to do with the sudden stop, but the Watch seems to have to have recognized some accelerated movement before the stop, since the setting depends on the accelerometer in the Watch. I remember it being explained when first introduced that it was for forward movement in a fall to trigger it. I understand your concerns, but I'm just not sure if you can always duplicate what it takes to trigger it.

How do I test the fall detection feature?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.