Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't edit pdf in preview in Big Sur

Hello, I'm a teacher and I have long PDFs with many chapters of content. I've always been able to open a PDF in Preview, click print, select a range of pages, then Save as PDF to create a new version with individual chapters. Now in Big Sur, when I click on "Save as PDF" the option to save as PDF is greyed out. I also cannot delete pages from my PDF. What do I do?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Nov 17, 2020 3:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2020 2:17 PM

The only thing different between your print panel and mine is that the panel is being presented to you by your HP OfficeJet 250 printer driver, and I have no HP printers here. If the driver for that printer is out of date for Big Sur, that may be part or all of your issue. Your particular printer is supported by Apple's AirPrint which is built into the operating system, so you don't need to visit HP for drivers.

If you are not already using AirPrint to support this printer, first ensure that the printer is powered on and networked either wired, or wireless. Then visit System Preferences : Printers & Scanners panel and right-click on the image of your OfficeJet printer. Choose Reset Print System… and it will remove, and then present a dialog to re-add your printer. Instead of formal HP drivers, choose AirPrint instead, and re-add the device. Right-click on the printer icon again, and make it the default printer. Print something to ensure it is working. Then repeat your Preview exercise to see if the PDF : Save as PDF sub-menu is now active.

As an annoying workaround, you could also choose Save as Postscript, and once that document is saved (.ps), you double-click it in the Finder to have Preview automatically convert it into a PDF and open it — which you then save separately.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2020 2:17 PM in response to dwwood3

The only thing different between your print panel and mine is that the panel is being presented to you by your HP OfficeJet 250 printer driver, and I have no HP printers here. If the driver for that printer is out of date for Big Sur, that may be part or all of your issue. Your particular printer is supported by Apple's AirPrint which is built into the operating system, so you don't need to visit HP for drivers.

If you are not already using AirPrint to support this printer, first ensure that the printer is powered on and networked either wired, or wireless. Then visit System Preferences : Printers & Scanners panel and right-click on the image of your OfficeJet printer. Choose Reset Print System… and it will remove, and then present a dialog to re-add your printer. Instead of formal HP drivers, choose AirPrint instead, and re-add the device. Right-click on the printer icon again, and make it the default printer. Print something to ensure it is working. Then repeat your Preview exercise to see if the PDF : Save as PDF sub-menu is now active.

As an annoying workaround, you could also choose Save as Postscript, and once that document is saved (.ps), you double-click it in the Finder to have Preview automatically convert it into a PDF and open it — which you then save separately.

Nov 17, 2020 4:04 PM in response to dwwood3

dwwood3 wrote:

Hello, I'm a teacher and I have long PDFs with many chapters of content. I've always been able to open a PDF in Preview, click print, select a range of pages, then Save as PDF to create a new version with individual chapters. Now in Big Sur, when I click on "Save as PDF" the option to save as PDF is greyed out. I also cannot delete pages from my PDF. What do I do?

Duplicate it for one. In this way you have a copy.

Try a true pdf editor for an improved user experience.

to name just a few:

• Adobe Acrobate Reader
  • PDFpen
  • pdfExpert

Nov 30, 2020 2:00 PM in response to dwwood3

I am on Big Sur 11.0.1 using an M1 Mac mini. I just opened a four-page PDF, selected Print… and changed my print range from Pages All, to From 3 to 4, and made no other changes to the print panel. Then I selected PDF : Save as PDF, and saved to a new PDF document. That result matched pages 3 and 4 of the original.

This appears to be working for me… and I have no idea why it is not working for you. Clearly Apple has not gamed this feature in Preview, or I would have met the same obstacle as you.

Can't edit pdf in preview in Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.