Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Locked Out of iPhone Before Reset

I generally get my daughter's castoff iPhones when she upgrades. Only this time for some reason she gave it to me without having done a factory reset. When I asked her for her Apple ID and password, she said she would remove it from her new iPhone. Then after she had done the deed she gave me her password but it was too late. How do I (or she) get back in to erase everything and go back to a blank iPhone?

Posted on Nov 17, 2020 3:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2020 1:30 PM

Spoke to Apple Support. The problem was that the locked iPhone is at my home and it was looking for her Wi-Fi, not mine. Once we put in my Wi-Fi ID and password it all clicked. Will suggest Apple include this change in their support page.

3 replies

Nov 17, 2020 4:26 PM in response to kb1951

No, this is what I told her to read to return it to factory reset before giving me the phone. She didn't. I got the phone fully loaded and still on her account. Then before I could get the password from her, she removed it from her account on her new iPhone. So now using the password she gave me after the fact I get 'error connecting to the Apple ID server' because (I think) it no longer recognizes any of data. I don't want to delete apps and data willy nilly out of concern that I will wipe it on her new iPhone.

Locked Out of iPhone Before Reset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.