Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini M1 HDR Support

What's the status of 4K HDR playback with the new 2020 Mac Mini?

This article was updated just a few days ago, but doesn't include any information on the 2020 Mac Mini.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210980

I'm considering the new M1 Mac Mini to connect up to a 4K HDR10 display.

Posted on Nov 17, 2020 8:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2020 5:03 AM

That linked Apple article suggests Mac mini 2018 or later, and probably a USB-C to 4K HDMI adapter cable (such as that Belkin adapter that supports HDR), and a length of quality HDMI male <> male 4K HDMI 2.0a or 2.1 spec cable into the TV.

Once my M1 mini arrives, I too, will be wanting to try it out with a 4K upscaling 40 - 43 in TV as a desktop replacement.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2020 5:03 AM in response to Jason Mecham

That linked Apple article suggests Mac mini 2018 or later, and probably a USB-C to 4K HDMI adapter cable (such as that Belkin adapter that supports HDR), and a length of quality HDMI male <> male 4K HDMI 2.0a or 2.1 spec cable into the TV.

Once my M1 mini arrives, I too, will be wanting to try it out with a 4K upscaling 40 - 43 in TV as a desktop replacement.

Nov 18, 2020 8:23 AM in response to VikingOSX

What I'm looking for is 4K HDR playback, and the linked article claims the Mac Mini (2018 or later) is only capable of 1080P HDR playback. Now certainly I can understand resolution/hdr limitations on content that isn't provided by Apple (like HBO from an App), but this is with premium HDR content from Apple.

I have no reason to believe that the article is correct because if it was the Mac Book Air would have the same capabilities/limitations as the Mac Mini because with the 2020 models they're practically the same thing (minus throttling they use on the Air to avoid having a Fan).

Plus HDMI 2.0 is perfectly capable of 4K HDR10@60fps so purely from a technical standpoint there is no reason why the Mac Mini M1 shouldn't be just as capable of 4K HDR playback as the iMac.

I don't see any reason why you'd have to use a Thunderbolt3 port to connect up your HDMI 2.0 (or greater) TV.

I asked this 4K HDR question to the "pre-sales" Apple Bot, and it was thoroughly confused. Haha. Eventually it said it would have to get help, and I haven't heard from it since.

The other thing that's interesting is this Article totally leaves out the Mac Mini M1.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210437#mac

I do expect these articles to get updated to clear up any confusion, but for now they're basically wrong.

Dec 13, 2020 6:33 AM in response to Jason Mecham

I connected a 32 inch LG 32UN880-B 4K HDR Ergo display to the M1 mini via a Belkin 4K HDMI 2.1 cable (for future proofing), and the monitor detects and briefly displays HDR in the upper right corner of the login screen. HDR can be disabled on this display, and there is a selection for High Dynamic Range in the Big Sur Displays preference:

Dec 12, 2020 3:29 PM in response to Jason Mecham

In my configuration the Mac Mini M1 lets me select 4K, and HDR10 so for general purpose stuff it works. What I haven’t been able to determine is if the Apple movies/shows are in 4K HDR as it doesn’t let me download them as that. It says they’ll stream at that, but how can I tell what’s being used for streaming?

For the TV I’m using an Optoma Cineplex P2 UST projector.

Dec 16, 2020 2:41 AM in response to Jason Mecham

So far as my situation, 4k Dolby Vision Netflix playback is test success on my M1 Mac mini using safari 14, Big Sur. as well as 4k HDR YouTube. they both works perfectly. I connect the Mac mini using a HDMI cable to a 4k monitor. PS: that did not happened when I got the new Mac mini at day one, there perhaps has some software adjusting or something.

Mac Mini M1 HDR Support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.