Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apps disappear off all screens after external display plugged in

My normal working set up is a Dell monitor plugged in to USB c port. Menu bar and apps are on dell monitor when it is plugged in.

If I disconnect the monitor everything reverts to MBP screen - no issues here.

But when I reconnect the monitor, all apps disappear from both screens. When I switch to any app, I have to go to Window > Move to xxxx to bring the app onto any screen. My expectation was that the apps would have automatically been moved to the monitor like they were in all previous MacOS versions.

This feels like a bug - anyone else having the same issue?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 18, 2020 6:49 AM

5 replies

Nov 26, 2020 9:05 AM in response to The Other KP

Hey there The Other KP,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We understand you’re having issues with your external monitor. We’ll be happy to help.

Go through the steps in this link to help with any issues related to using an external monitor with your Mac:

Get help with video issues on external displays connected to your Mac

We hope this helps.

Take care.

Nov 26, 2020 9:10 AM in response to barberlives123

hi barberlives123

This doesn't help I'm afraid. My external display is working fine and shows a desktop background and menu bar. But as per my original post if I unplug the display, work just on the MBP display, and then plug the external display in - > all applications disappear from view and are not visible on either MBP nor external display

Thanks

Paul

Dec 16, 2020 3:49 PM in response to The Other KP

Yes, I too have this problem. I come and go all day from my MacBook connected to my external display. When I come back to and reconnect to the external display some or all of my apps seem to disappear. But if I use the 3 finger scroll up to see all apps and desktops, I see the missing apps and must drag them to a desktop or they will simply slip away again.

It is seemingly off screen but there is no screen there and I cannot put my mouse there–as in situations when you have an external monitor that is not there, That is not the case, to be clear.

Apps disappear off all screens after external display plugged in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.