Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unplugging and plugging external monitor is causing all windows from external monitor to dissapear

In last couple of days, I've noticed that when I unplug the external monitor all app windows from external monitor are transferred to main monitor from my MacBook Pro. However, when I plug again external monitor, all those windows that were opened before on external monitor are not visible. The only thing I can see on the external monitor is the background image. Which could be OK.

It is frustrating that I can't see open application once I plug in again the external monitor.

Currently, only helps shutting down the whole app or restarting whole notebook... both of these options are really annoying to have during the work day.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Dec 10, 2020 7:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2020 5:19 AM

It seems that the issue has gone with latest update of MacOS.

The issue was following:

1. have plugged in external monitor
  2. open some application e.g. Slack, Xcode, etc and move it to the external monitor
  3. unplug external monitor
  4. opened application has been moved to built in monitor (works OK)
  5. plug in external monitor again
  6. opened application is not visible anywhere except in Activity Monitor and showed in Dock that is active. The process has to be killed first so that application would start be visible again.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2020 5:19 AM in response to Joseph_S.

It seems that the issue has gone with latest update of MacOS.

The issue was following:

1. have plugged in external monitor
  2. open some application e.g. Slack, Xcode, etc and move it to the external monitor
  3. unplug external monitor
  4. opened application has been moved to built in monitor (works OK)
  5. plug in external monitor again
  6. opened application is not visible anywhere except in Activity Monitor and showed in Dock that is active. The process has to be killed first so that application would start be visible again.

Dec 14, 2020 1:50 PM in response to fuzzyness13

Hi fuzzyness13,

To make sure we're on the same page, any open windows that are on your external monitor are moved over to the internal monitor upon unplugging it. However, when you plug the monitor back in it only shows an extended desktop until you manually move windows over to it, is that correct?

If so, this is expected behavior from macOS. You can see more information about external monitors below.

If this is a feature you'd like to see tweaked in the future, you can leave feedback at the following link:

Take care.

Unplugging and plugging external monitor is causing all windows from external monitor to dissapear

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.