Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble downloading (and then installing) macOS Catalina from Mojave.

I've decided that BigSur OS is now out, it's time to upgrade to Catalina, but for some reason when I click on upgrade now, it downloads for a few seconds, claiming there's 6 minutes to go, and 562 MB has been downloaded, but then I get the error message "The network connection was lost." Even though the internet is working for everything else. No matter how many times I try I get this message. I'm on a 2012 Mac mini.

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 18, 2020 11:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2020 1:24 PM

Create another User account with administrator privileges and try downloading in that account.

Or you could try downloading while in Safe Mode,

How to use safe mode on your Mac – Apple Support

Safe Mode takes a long time to start up so be patient, about 10 minutes.

6 replies

Nov 18, 2020 3:04 PM in response to Eau Rouge

Safe mode seems to have done the trick. It took maybe 15-20 minutes to enter safe mode, but then I was able to start the download and it completed. It’s now in the process of installing, hoping that will go smoothly. Now downloading Catalina on my 2012 MacBook Pro. Had to find a link online to get it, but it seems to be working.

thanks for the tip!!

Nov 19, 2020 8:15 AM in response to ruthfromgreen valley

So I managed to download the Catalina MacOS, and installation started, but it won’t complete....I’ve tried everything I could find online to remedy this including reset of NVRAM twice. That did get it to complete the progress bar under the Apple logo, but then it stops again. I’m now at a loss....thank God my MacBook Pro updated no problem! Or at least I hope it’s no problem, it shows “relocated files” on the home screen which keep getting accessed when I try to do certain things....not sure what’s up about that yet. But at least I can get emails and surf online. Right now I’m using my iPadPro to write this. Any more ideas on what to do with my Mac mini?

Trouble downloading (and then installing) macOS Catalina from Mojave.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.