Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS Big Sur Mail indexing

Has anyone experiences issues since upgrading to BigSur with searching. Im using my iCloud Email (actually @mac.com to be accurate). Searching for Email no longer works, and email VIP mailboxes get notified, however clicking on the folder doesn't nothing.

I'm assuming its an indexing issue, however I cant find a way to reindex the mailbox.

Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

27" iMac Retina 5K 2017

Big Sur 11.0.1

Mail 14.0

and

MacBook Pro 2020

Big Sur 11.0.1

Mail 14.0

Posted on Nov 18, 2020 12:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2020 9:44 PM

Jeff,

I got an answer to my (and presumably, your) issue earlier today on the MacRumors forum, which blessedly appears to have fixed my problem... and it was a lot easier than the fix Apple Support gave to you.

I reposted it on this similar thread (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252045190?answerId=253959059022) just a bit ago, but will also paste it below right now.

Cheers!

------

1. Save your work and close all of your apps

2. Close Mail app

3. Hold the Shift key and open the Mail app

4. Close the Mail app (don't search or perform any other actions)

5. Hold the Shift key and open the Mail app (repeat of Step 3)

6. Close the Mail app (repeat of Step 4)

7. Restart your Mac

8. Open Mail app like you normally would

9. Try searching your mail

Similar questions

36 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 23, 2020 9:44 PM in response to jeffpodraza

Jeff,

I got an answer to my (and presumably, your) issue earlier today on the MacRumors forum, which blessedly appears to have fixed my problem... and it was a lot easier than the fix Apple Support gave to you.

I reposted it on this similar thread (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252045190?answerId=253959059022) just a bit ago, but will also paste it below right now.

Cheers!

------

1. Save your work and close all of your apps

2. Close Mail app

3. Hold the Shift key and open the Mail app

4. Close the Mail app (don't search or perform any other actions)

5. Hold the Shift key and open the Mail app (repeat of Step 3)

6. Close the Mail app (repeat of Step 4)

7. Restart your Mac

8. Open Mail app like you normally would

9. Try searching your mail

Mar 27, 2021 11:53 AM in response to dkazreal

Any chance you would be willing to post a step by step for this option? I'm having this issue on multiple log ins, multiple email accounts and I've spent countless hours on tech support. I have heard "that's strange" so many times! They are trying to be very helpful, and I've only had polite people help me, but this is confounding.

Feb 16, 2021 8:33 AM in response to jeffpodraza

It is a serious bug in Big Sur. It happens on multi-user systems when one user logs out, the search is broken for all other users. It does not happen when you use fast switching, but when one user logs out, 100% of the time every other user loses search in Mail.

I erased my MacBook and installed a clean Big Sur, with two users and no other piece of software and I see the bug every time. The 'shift trick' or deleting files end envelopes, reindexing spotlight or deleting files in the metadata folder does nothing for me unfortunately.

You can fix the problem temporarily by force killing the process 'corespotlightd' in Activity Monitor, the search will work gain immediately and until another user logs out 🥶

Stupide huge unbelievable bug, happening since the first release of Big Sur months ago !

Please report to Apple using the feedback page, it looks that this is all we can do.

Feedback - Mail - Apple

Feedback - macOS - Apple

Nov 23, 2020 5:36 PM in response to EastDog

EastDog, Not sure if you solved your probably, however I spent about 3 hours on with Apple Chat. At this point I have 1 Mac bay, I see need to do my Mac Book Pro.

1) log in to iCloud.com and make sure your mail is there.

2) assuming the you can see the email on the web.

3) remove you iCloud account from the Mac.

4) add the iCloud account back on the Mac and wait.

This did something, but my flagged email and VIP folders only show the messages that should be there.

I would ask Apple support for to confirm, as I know it worked for me, and don't want to you to do anything on your machine based on my experience. if that makes sense.

Good Luck!

Jan 29, 2021 12:26 PM in response to jeffpodraza

Here's the fix that worked for me:

Delete the files I mentioned above. Then with Mail running WAIT 24 hours without putting your Mac to Sleep OR logging in as another user.

If you log in as another user, even if you are still logged in as the user related to the Mail app issue, indexing will stop, and it does not continue again when you switch users.

Feb 19, 2021 5:15 AM in response to GanawaGangunawa

Killing the corespotlightd process did nothing for me. It just restarted itself immediately. Deleted it again and tried to search before it restarted but still to no avail. Also tried deleting corespotlightService. Same (nil) result.

Apple, I want my VIPs back! It is taking me ten times longer to find anything, and sometimes I cannot find it at all. I have had to set up smart mailboxes for my VIPs and that seems to work - but I shouldn't have to!

Yes, I tried Spark to read my mail but that only works for the imap files. Most of my mail files are on my hard drive. Can any other mail program read them?? I guess not.

MacOS Big Sur Mail indexing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.