Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HP Printer Drivers 5.1 Fail to Install

My HP printer drivers became invalid due to the recent developer certificate issue, so I followed HP's guide to completely uninstall and reinstall the drivers:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06960563

HP's site says that, for my printer (CP1518ni), I should install Apple's HP Printer Drivers v5.1 package. I downloaded this package from Apple here:

https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1888?locale=en_US

This installer fails with an error: "This volume does not meet the requirements for this update." So now I have no HP drivers at all, and I cannot install new ones.

(Unfortunately, HP's "Easy Start" and "E-Print" drivers don't work for this printer, nor does Air Print.)

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 18, 2020 1:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2020 1:20 PM

I had the same problem and could not get the drivers to install. Eventually I used "Pacifist" which installed the drivers to their "default location". I now have a working printer and scanner again.

https://www.charlessoft.com

16 replies

Nov 18, 2020 1:39 PM in response to caseybarker1

If you checked the date of that Apple download HP Printer Drivers v5.1, it is from 2017 and could not possibly solve your expired certificate problem. There should be a Software Update that appears on Big Sur (just as it did on Catalina) that offers you the HP Printer Drivers v5.1 Update, which resolves the certificate issue.

Once the Software Update version of the HP drivers is installed, you must visit System Preferences : Printers & Scanners, and with the HP device connected and powered, right click on the printer icon, and choose Reset print system… . You then re-add the same device, selecting certificate updated drivers for it, and then once it is back in your Printers gallery, right-click again and make it the default printer.

Nov 19, 2020 7:22 PM in response to caseybarker1

I have a Canon LBP6030w which also went flakey when I upgraded to Big Sur. The drivers from Canon Support were available, downloaded quickly, and solved the issue immediately when I reinstalled the printer. Oddly, the pages "printed" with no text; though the frames printed there was no content. That was a pain, but it didn't drive me to re-installing the OS to print a ****** sales report. HP, though. The old hardware is so durable, but they don't give a darn for Mac OS support.

Dec 5, 2020 12:37 AM in response to fmalloy

Once you you have opened the package in Pacifist, you have to copy / paste the files of the package in the corresponding folders on your hard drive (/Library folder which is at the root of the drive, not the one in your User folder). Be careful not to delete the content of the existing folders on your hard drive, but just add the files from the package. Once done, you can install the printer in the settings panel.

Best

G.

Dec 5, 2020 2:00 PM in response to grégoire128

Thank you. I used "Install" on Pacifist and I now see the drivers in /Library>Printers>hp. When I open Printers & Scanners and "+" to add a printer, I don't see anything to add. Does the printer have to be physically connected and powered on for it to appear?

Reason I'm asking is I am testing this for my father, who is in another location, and I don't have an HP printer, so I'm testing the process to walk him through it.

HP Printer Drivers 5.1 Fail to Install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.