Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macintosh HD not mounted, System Snapshot mounted instead after Boot Camp partition failure

I am using a Late 2013 MacBook Pro 13" Retina, recently updated to Big Sur (11.0.1).

I tried to install Windows using Boot Camp Assistant. I ultimately ran into this alert: ”Your disk could not be partitioned. An error occurred while partitioning the disk. Please run First Aid from within Disk Utility to check and fix the error.”

After First Aid did not appear to find or rectify any errors, the next step suggested by Apple was to check for and reclaim free space. However, the Partition window returns this— with an un-clickable, solid blue quarter of the pie chart where I would normally expect the free space section to be:

I also noticed that Disk Utility was showing 'com.apple.os.update-779...' (an 'APFS System Snapshot') as a sub-drive under Macintosh HD, which is something I had not seen or heard of before. I read that the presence of the System Snapshot could be a reason for the the disk not recognising that there was free space sort of, therefore causing the attempted partition in Boot Camp to fail. (Disk Utility itself does recognise that there is plenty of free space, it is only within the Partition screen that there is no mention of it.) I came across the Terminal command to check the true amount of space on a drive, so I ran that just to check for inconsistencies. I can't seem to replicate it at the moment, but when I initially ran the command for disk0s2 it returned something like 'disk for disk not found', which I thought was weird. Before trying anything else in Terminal that I'd seen suggested as a potential fix, I decided to turn the computer off and on again— which leads me to where I am now:

Upon reopening Disk Utility after restarting the computer, I noticed that Macintosh HD had become 'greyed out' and was no longer mounted, indicating that the System Snapshot is mounted instead:

I am able to use and access everything seemingly as normal, but I have not been able to mount the drive. I have attempted to run First Aid and force-mount the drive using Terminal—both in recovery mode—but have not been able to change anything. This makes me worried.

I would like to figure out how to have Macintosh HD mounted, as normal, and then how to ensure that I can create the necessary partition to install Windows through Boot Camp.

I did run Windows in a partition on this machine a few years ago, which I may have removed or at least resized using Disk Utility rather than Boot Camp, so that might be worth noting?

Apologies if this was confusing to read and thanks in advance for any help.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 18, 2020 1:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2020 1:47 PM

On Big Sur, the system Volume is hidden and protected. It uses snapshots to store the version in use, which I find a bit untidy, since there is no reason to see it.

For setting up Bootcamp, you use the Bootcamp Assistant found in "Other" in the Applications folder

Similar questions

5 replies

Nov 18, 2020 2:56 PM in response to ClairviusNarcisse

OK awesome, it seems like the fact that Macintosh HD is apparently not mounted is nothing to worry about, and this is normal for Big Sur— I hadn't come across this for whatever reason, even after lots of Googling. However, I still don't get why it randomly changed to being displayed this way after a restart, without me having altered anything else.(?)

Does anyone have any idea what is wrong in respect of the partition failure?

Nov 18, 2020 2:47 PM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks, the problem is it definitely changed after I restarted the computer; when I was first looking in Disk Utility after the failed Boot Camp attempt, Macintosh HD was not greyed out, appeared to be mounted, and had a storage breakdown where it now for some reason says System Snapshot Mounted. Any reason why it would have randomly changed? Or why it didn't appear like this before, if this is indeed the normal state?

Also, do you know if the other screen shot looks normal, with regards to the pie chart? I world normally expect it to look more like this:

I can only apologise for not being able to do a better job of explaining the problem, I hope you are able to make sense of it!

Thanks!

Nov 18, 2020 2:42 PM in response to putnik

Agreed that it's untidy, I wanted to delete it as soon as I saw it! When I first opened Disk Utility due to the the partition failure in Boot Camp, Macintosh HD was NOT greyed out and did NOT say System Snapshot Mounted— rather, it displayed a storage breakdown indicating used and free space, etc. So there has definitely been a change since the system restarted.

You will note that I did use Boot Camp Assistant in my attempt to install Windows, and ran in to the partition failure error described in the second sentence of my above post. This is the second thing I'm trying to work out. Please see the first screenshot, and note the unusual pie chart that for some reason has an un-clickable, solid blue section where I believe it should say 'Free Space'. There is something that neither I nor the computer understands preventing Boot Camp from being able to partition the drive. Any thoughts?

Many thanks

Macintosh HD not mounted, System Snapshot mounted instead after Boot Camp partition failure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.