MacBook Pro with BootCamp install only launching Windows.

Hello,

I seem to be experiencing a similar issue to the following post: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251412540?&previousThread=251672396021

but would like to confirm next steps in my particular case.

(My background: I have a 2020 13” Pro, model A2289. I’ve run bootcamp for over a year with no issues. At some point I ran into a documented bug with an application I was running that required me to partition off some of its files and run a symbolic link to them. When an update fixed that I thought I’d get rid of the partition and…the windows utility i tried to use seems to have dropped it into the Mac reservoir instead of merging it back with my main windows partition, hence problems. Option key on restart shows only Windows, NVRAM doesn’t work, recovery mode shunts me into internet recovery. So far seems to be similar enough to the link above that the same ought to apply.)

From terminal in internet recovery mode, diskutil list returns the following:

and

gpt -vv -r show /dev/disk1

returns

so from the code in the post I’m referencing, I’m hoping that

gpt remove -i 2 /dev/disk1

gpt add -i 2 -b 76806 -s 102295034 -t apfs /dev/disk1

gpt -vv -r show /dev/disk1

diskutil repairDisk disk1

(unmounting if necessary) will solve my issue. But I’m in far enough over my head that I’d really appreciate the eyeballs of someone with real knowledge of what’s going on here. Thanks very much if you’ve read this far, and sorry for what is likely more or less a double post!

P.S. Here’s what my disk utility looks like at the moment. I did try to run first aid with no success:

and I do have a full backup of my computer that’s a couple months old but isn’t missing anything important, should I need it.

Thanks again -

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 26, 2023 3:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2023 11:50 AM

After some more poking around, I realized that the problem was that my mac directory had lost its label when I reassigned windows partitions, so (as I vaguely understand it) the EFI was unable to find the proper GUID to start up macOS. So I unmounted disk1 and ran

gpt add -i 3-b 76806 -s 102295034 -apfs /dev/disk1

and was able to restart, hold option, and boot back into macOS as normal.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 27, 2023 11:50 AM in response to ratgenfxn

After some more poking around, I realized that the problem was that my mac directory had lost its label when I reassigned windows partitions, so (as I vaguely understand it) the EFI was unable to find the proper GUID to start up macOS. So I unmounted disk1 and ran

gpt add -i 3-b 76806 -s 102295034 -apfs /dev/disk1

and was able to restart, hold option, and boot back into macOS as normal.

MacBook Pro with BootCamp install only launching Windows.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.