Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sidecar not working after 11.0.1 update, blank icon in menu bar

Hello,

I got one of the new M1 MacBook on Tuesday and as I was setting up the Mac I was able to use Sidecar with my iPad. However, Tuesday evening I did the Big Sur update to 11.0.1 and since round that time I've had a blank icon in the menu bar and Sidecar is not working.

I've cleared the trusted systems on my iPad and reconfirm with the MacBook, so I do not believe the iPad is the issue, the blank icon leads me to believe it is the MacBook. I tried restarting safe mode and clearing the NVRAM (Which I'm not sure it did, has the process changed on the new Macs), both did not work.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 18, 2020 6:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2020 6:28 PM

Hi, I had this issue and I found on a Macrumours site to reset the Network Settings on the iPad. This worked for me. Can be found on your iPad Settings-> General-> Reset-> Reset Network Settings. After the iPad reboots, find the same wifi network as your MB and join. Hopefully the MB will see the iPad on sidecar.

God speed.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2020 6:28 PM in response to chrisphil1724

Hi, I had this issue and I found on a Macrumours site to reset the Network Settings on the iPad. This worked for me. Can be found on your iPad Settings-> General-> Reset-> Reset Network Settings. After the iPad reboots, find the same wifi network as your MB and join. Hopefully the MB will see the iPad on sidecar.

God speed.

Nov 19, 2020 5:03 PM in response to chrisphil1724

Update 2: So after going over all my options, the only one I had not tried was reinstalling the OS. I wasn't far into setup so I thought "why not?"

HUGE MISTAKE!

The M1 Macs are all having issues reinstalling macOS Big Sur and Apple has no fix for it yet. I'm trying fixes for this and will keep this updated.

Right now, my new Macbook is a $1299 brick and Apple is no help.

Nov 25, 2020 10:57 AM in response to blendermoore

I'm having the same issue as blendermoore with the same devices.

2020 M1 MacBook Air (v11.0.1)

2020 iPad Air 4 (v14.2)

Wired Sidecar works after trusting the iPad in finder, but wirelessly, the Sidecar menu does not display my iPad as an available Sidecar device.

Hopefully just a software issue, but would love some additional information if this is a known issue.

Sidecar not working after 11.0.1 update, blank icon in menu bar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.