Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Locked out of my new Macbook Air M1 2020

locked out of my Macbook. doesn't recognize my password or give any option for reset.

suggestions?

MacBook

Posted on Nov 18, 2020 7:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2021 6:32 AM

It's a piece of crap. Spent a day trying to reinstall/clean and still doesn't work. Trying to return it right now and even that is a mess. It's somehow still linked to my apple id even though I've wiped everything and removed it from my devices.

Bummed with apple on this. I only decided to get this because my 2017 air is unusable after the big sur update.

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2021 6:32 AM in response to kidny

It's a piece of crap. Spent a day trying to reinstall/clean and still doesn't work. Trying to return it right now and even that is a mess. It's somehow still linked to my apple id even though I've wiped everything and removed it from my devices.

Bummed with apple on this. I only decided to get this because my 2017 air is unusable after the big sur update.

Nov 18, 2020 7:58 PM in response to kidny

This might work, but the consequences are unknown (I did not go all the way through deactivating my MacBook Air)

Follow these instructions to boot into Recovery Mode: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Once you're in Recovery Mode, choose Terminal from the Utilities menu. At the prompt, enter (without the quotes) "resetpassword". This will start you down the reset path, which includes deactivating your Mac if you don't know the passwords to any configured account. I do not know if this presents a risk to your data.

Before following the above process, I'd spend some effort retrying your password and maybe a couple of typo'd variants (just in case).

Nov 20, 2020 8:02 AM in response to kidny

It’ll sound strange, but are you sure you are not with different keyboard layout? Same thing happened to me today after I transferred all my data from previous MacBook. And then I realized that instead of my language I’m typing there was ABC option.

and it happened every time after I rebooted device, but you can remove this ABC input.

well and if you really forgot it you have to stay at login screen around 1 minute and then hold power button to shut it down and start again and it will bring you into password recovery

Nov 25, 2020 11:52 AM in response to AJChrepta

If FileVault is turned on, you might be able to reset your password using the Reset Password assistant:

1. Wait up to a minute at the login screen, until you see a message saying that you can use the power button on your Mac to shut down and start up again in Recovery OS. If you don't see this message, FileVault isn't on.
  2. Press and hold the power button until your Mac turns off.
  3. Press the power button again to turn on your Mac.
  4. When the Reset Password window appears, follow the onscreen instructions to create a new password.
  5. If you need to connect to Wi-Fi, move your pointer to the top of the screen and use the Wi-Fi menu  to connect. To exit without resetting your password, choose Apple menu > Restart.

Jan 9, 2021 8:51 PM in response to BopCat

In my case it turned out to be an issue with iCloud. For some reason Keychain was turning off on my new computer. When I turned it on, passwords were empty.

After resetting my main password, I signed out of iCloud, then sign back in. When that didn't work I checked my main computer (High Sierra), and, for some reason, Keychain was deselected there as well, though passwords were in Safari.

I had to sign out on that computer (though there was a pop up that said I needed to sign in - which I was), then sign in again. It was very odd. The Keychain box ticked itself, then it unchecked itself, then it checked itself again, without me doing anything.

Maybe 30 seconds later passwords repopulated on my new computer.

Hope this helps somebody.

Jan 30, 2021 10:45 PM in response to kidny

I’m having the same issue with my M1 MacBook Air. I can’t even reset my password via recovery mode - it just doesn’t give me the option for it. I’ve even tried using the terminal and entered “resetpassword”. And for those suggesting to check the keyboard selection, I’ve done that too. Anyone have a solution that’s worked for them?

Feb 14, 2021 9:17 AM in response to kidny

This also happens to me. Fortunately I have another account (account2) and it worked when I logged into account2 and THEN logged into my regular account. Very weird.

Today, the other account2's password is not working.

I tried to reset the password of account2 using "Users and Groups" and it said "Reset password failed".

I then tried the terminal command line using passwd and it failed. I then tried

sudo passwd account2

New password:

Retype new password:

passwd: Authentication server failed to complete the requested operation.  Authentication server failed to complete the requested operation.

Mar 30, 2021 10:25 AM in response to kidny

This tricked worked for me on M1...

Press and hold Power/TouchID

Until you see "Keep Holding For Recovery Options"

Select Utilities

Now it will ask you to enter user password and forgot password option.

Just enter your password

It opens up a new type of input box than usual. Put your same password and it should give recovery options.

Restart

Login with the same password and it will get unlocked.

Seems a bug with PRAM

Locked out of my new Macbook Air M1 2020

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.