Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

not downloading originals after moving library to external drive

Hi there,

I've just moved my Photos library to an external hard drive using the procedures described here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201517

Then, I designated the library located in the external library as the new System Photo Library as described here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204414

After step 6 from the link above, there was a dialog question about saying: "Any photos and videos that have not been fully downloaded will be removed from this Mac and Shared Albums will be disabled." I clicked Ok.

--> This dialog box is Undocumented! <--

After selecting OK, I selected the "Download Originals to this Mac" options in the Photos preferences menu. The reason why I changed my library to an external hard drive is because I want to create a copy of it.

So, I would expect my Photos Library file size to grow, since it is supposedly downloading the originals. However, it is actually *decreasing*. When I check on iCloud.com and on my iPhone all my photos are there. I left the computer on as well as the external drive expecting to have the originals downloaded at night, but no luck.

Did I delete all my photos? what might be going on?

Thanks!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 18, 2020 8:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2020 12:56 AM

I think you just have to wait - especially if you have a large library. By making this change, you have forced a complete resync of your library, and it can take days.

(When I started with Icloud in the summer it took about a week, with photos left on and open 24/7)

Similar questions

2 replies

not downloading originals after moving library to external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.