Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change the image of a cell from another cell

Hello

Can you tell me if Big Sur fixed what I call a problem of changing the image in one table cell from another table? What is possible with text.

MA

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 19, 2020 10:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2020 11:52 AM

HI MA,

"And, would there be an error… where you write "Select columns B and B of Table 1 ..."?"

Yes. It should have said "Select columns B and C of table 1.

With columns B and C of Table 1 hidden, and the filter NOT activated, Table ! will display all cells of column A:

(Note that for the example, I did not place an image (as image fill) in any of the other cells in the table, and I removes the text "FIVE" from A6.)

(Note also that the filter does not affect the Header row, which remains visible with the filter active or inactive.)

Checking the box to the right of "Filter" in the Filter pane activates the filter.

Regards,

Barry

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2020 11:52 AM in response to Marc-Andr St-Pierre

HI MA,

"And, would there be an error… where you write "Select columns B and B of Table 1 ..."?"

Yes. It should have said "Select columns B and C of table 1.

With columns B and C of Table 1 hidden, and the filter NOT activated, Table ! will display all cells of column A:

(Note that for the example, I did not place an image (as image fill) in any of the other cells in the table, and I removes the text "FIVE" from A6.)

(Note also that the filter does not affect the Header row, which remains visible with the filter active or inactive.)

Checking the box to the right of "Filter" in the Filter pane activates the filter.

Regards,

Barry

Nov 19, 2020 1:43 PM in response to Marc-Andr St-Pierre

Here's an example of the three column setup:

The formula shown below the table is entered in cell C2, and filled down to the end of that table,

Key values in column B can be words or numbers or short captions for each image.

After entering them, I selected rows 2 to 10 of this column, then in the Format inspector, chose Cell and set the Data format to Pop up Menu. That format was applied to all the cells, making each a pop up menu cell containing all of the values, and set to the one that is displayed.

That made it possible to Copy cell C2, then Paste to cell A2 in the Key table, putting the same pop up menu into the key table (Table 2), where it could be used to select which row (and image) to display.

On the larger table, Column C shows the results of the formula comparing the displayed value in each row with the displayed value in A2 of Table 2.

After setting up the tables, Select columns B and B of Table 1, then Hide those two columns, and click the checkbox to the right of "Filter" in the Inspector, and close the Inspector pane for this result:

To avoid 'bounce' when you switch images, remember to set all rows of Table 1 (except the header row) to the same height.

Regards,

Barry

Nov 21, 2020 6:25 PM in response to Barry

I think I accidentally understood your example. And I have to say, this is the first time in years that I've come so close to a real answer. It is a great job that you have done. I believe I can now organize myself with this.

I am sending you a screenshot of two examples (out of 9) where I have placed images (logos) of 9 NHL teams and everything is working fine. I know I can put the name of the teams in place of the numbers.

There are some differences between our versions of Numbers. I have the latest version since this week.

Thank you very much, really.

Nov 22, 2020 8:19 AM in response to Barry

Hello Barry

You have a good memory. The last time I asked for help with my hockey boards was 3 years ago. And you have helped me a lot.

I have not forgotten the Canadians (Cell #1). Given the time zones between us, I thought the Los Angeles Kings were a better fit for you. And I chose another team from the west (Vancouver) for the other example.

Now I can't wait to see how I can organize it all to do what I want. The fun is coming!

Thank you again for your help. I believe you will have some more of my questions to answer soon.

MA

Dec 4, 2020 11:04 AM in response to Marc-Andr St-Pierre

Hi Barry

The solution you offered me above a few days ago is probably the best ever for this problem. I realize that it is possible, from the same source, that we can change an image at will in several tables to have the same image everywhere (example 1) or, even, according to our choice, sometimes have 2 different images ( or more) (example 2).

I am not sure how this forum works. It would be very interesting, in my opinion, if you could come up with your solution so that as many people as possible could see it. It would be of service to a lot because during my research, for a long time, I noticed that several people were looking for a solution to the problem that I have submitted here.

For this purpose, I offer two examples which have exactly the same source.

Thank you again for your solution which makes my life easier !!!

MA

p.s. If my explanations are not clear, I can resume with several examples.

Nov 19, 2020 10:58 AM in response to Marc-Andr St-Pierre

Hi Marc-Andr,

"text" in a cell is 'content'. "image" in a cell is "format"; specifically, "image fill".

Unless that has changed in the most recent version of Numbers, you cannot change the image fill of a cell using a formula referencing another cell.

You could place the images in a single column of a two column table, with a 'text key' or 'key number' in the second column, then Filter the table to show only rows containing the 'key' value placed in the control cell in the second table.

A quick glance at Filter rules shows they do not permit a direct reference to the value in another cell, so you may need to use a third column to convert the 'key' to a fixed value (such as "true" or "show" to fit the filter.

Regards,

Barry

Regards,

Barry

Nov 21, 2020 9:46 AM in response to Barry

Hello Barry,

Ok. Now I think I was successful in setting up columns B and C of table 1 and A2 of table 2. But I don't understand how you get to the result of column A of table 1 which gives the picture we see on row A6.

And, would there be an error in the paragraph that starts with "After setting up ..." where you write "Select columns B and B of Table 1 ..."?

MA

Change the image of a cell from another cell

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.