Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder Preferences - Trash

Isn't there a way to have Trash appear in the Sidebar when I open a Finder Window? -- a MacBook Pro 13, 2020, running macOS Catalina 10.15.7 (I mean, come on, Apple -- if I can't find the file, wouldn't I want to look in the Trash to see if I screwed up and trashed it?)

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 19, 2020 11:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2020 11:08 AM

Choose Go to Folder from the Finder's Go menu, provide ~/.Trash as the path, and drag the little icon at the top of the window to the sidebar.

This only covers the volume with your home folder. The Trash icon on the Dock shows a combination of it and folders on other volumes.

(186427)

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2020 11:08 AM in response to BPWMorro

Choose Go to Folder from the Finder's Go menu, provide ~/.Trash as the path, and drag the little icon at the top of the window to the sidebar.

This only covers the volume with your home folder. The Trash icon on the Dock shows a combination of it and folders on other volumes.

(186427)

Nov 19, 2020 12:43 PM in response to BPWMorro

BPWMorro wrote:

Good Morning, Niel,

Always good to see your responses.

Go ~/.Trash does take me to a window labeled "Trash" at the top -- but the icon is simply a blue folder, not a trashcan icon. So, I tried to move the blue folder into the sidebar of the Finder window ... and it just does not want to go there; when I try it gives me the Circle/Slash icon for "you can't do this."

Further suggestions?

Every macOS release seems to handle this a bit different each time—go figure.

Go to your Home/user Folder—

You can try unhiding the .hidden .files & .directories using the 3 key short cut: Shift Command . (period)

From here try dragging .Trash to the side bar

use the command key or option or some such if need be.

ex. Big Sur

The trash can icon is irrelevent. You may be able to Copy &paste the icon through the Command i information pane—however you empty the trash it wil revert— at least in the past.

I will add specific to your issue, holding the Option Command keys while you click the trash icon in your Dock will open that directory in the Finder. ( In Big Sur simply clicking the icon opens the Finder as well)

Nov 19, 2020 11:57 AM in response to Niel

Good Morning, Niel,

Always good to see your responses.

Go ~/.Trash does take me to a window labeled "Trash" at the top -- but the icon is simply a blue folder, not a trashcan icon. So, I tried to move the blue folder into the sidebar of the Finder window ... and it just does not want to go there; when I try it gives me the Circle/Slash icon for "you can't do this."

Further suggestions?

Finder Preferences - Trash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.