Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GPU for an older iMAC?

Hi! My iMAC is about 4 years old. I do graphic design, but an starting to use Premier Pro for videos. After a little research, I found that my computer doesn't have adequate memory (I have extra slots to add more) and someone recommended a GPU. I'm just starting to research GPUs, and saw that Apple has an eGPU. Is this something I can "add" to my 4-year-old iMAC?

iMac 27″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 19, 2020 2:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2020 6:05 PM

Unfortunately, you’re iMac does not meet the minimum qualifications for using an external GPU. Here is a link to the Apple Support Document that outlines the requirements,

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208544

The long and short of is it the GPU your iMac came with is soldered to the Logic Board and can’t be upgraded. Your iMac has Thunderbolt 2 ports for connecting to an external peripherals. As the support document states, Macs must have Thunderbolt 3 ports and controllers in order to recognize eGPU’s. While adapters exist to convert Thunderbolt 2 computers to Thunderbolt 3 devices, your iMac does not have the necessary hardware and firmware to recognize and utilize an eGPU. Sorry.

You may want to talk to the support people at OWC about upgrading your Ram (memory) and startup Hard Drive. Both of these upgrades can speed up your computer significantly. This may be sufficient to do the video editing you want to do. Good luck.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2020 6:05 PM in response to rossisaacs

Unfortunately, you’re iMac does not meet the minimum qualifications for using an external GPU. Here is a link to the Apple Support Document that outlines the requirements,

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208544

The long and short of is it the GPU your iMac came with is soldered to the Logic Board and can’t be upgraded. Your iMac has Thunderbolt 2 ports for connecting to an external peripherals. As the support document states, Macs must have Thunderbolt 3 ports and controllers in order to recognize eGPU’s. While adapters exist to convert Thunderbolt 2 computers to Thunderbolt 3 devices, your iMac does not have the necessary hardware and firmware to recognize and utilize an eGPU. Sorry.

You may want to talk to the support people at OWC about upgrading your Ram (memory) and startup Hard Drive. Both of these upgrades can speed up your computer significantly. This may be sufficient to do the video editing you want to do. Good luck.

GPU for an older iMAC?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.