Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What GPU should I get?

I'm thinking about installing macOS Big Sur on my mid 2012 Mac Pro. But the GPU doesn't support Big Sur so I plan to upgrade it. What GPU do you think is the best for my Mac?

Mac Pro

Posted on Jun 19, 2021 10:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2021 12:07 AM

A MacPro from 2012 cannot install macOS Big Sur.

How to upgrade to macOS Big Sur - Apple Support

Read the Check Compatibility table.

Check compatibility

macOS Big Sur is compatible with the following computers. If your Mac isn't compatible, you might be able to install an old version of macOS instead.

MacBook introduced in 2015 or later

MacBook Air introduced in 2013 or later

MacBook Pro introduced in late 2013 or later

Mac mini introduced in 2014 or later

iMac introduced in 2014 or later

iMac Pro

Mac Pro introduced in 2013 or later

View the complete list of compatible computers.

If upgrading from macOS Sierra or later, your Mac needs 35.5GB of available storage to upgrade. If upgrading from an earlier release, your Mac needs up to 44.5GB of available storage. To upgrade from OS X Mountain Lion, first upgrade to OS X El Capitan, then upgrade to macOS Big Sur.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 20, 2021 12:07 AM in response to SunflowerSummer

A MacPro from 2012 cannot install macOS Big Sur.

How to upgrade to macOS Big Sur - Apple Support

Read the Check Compatibility table.

Check compatibility

macOS Big Sur is compatible with the following computers. If your Mac isn't compatible, you might be able to install an old version of macOS instead.

MacBook introduced in 2015 or later

MacBook Air introduced in 2013 or later

MacBook Pro introduced in late 2013 or later

Mac mini introduced in 2014 or later

iMac introduced in 2014 or later

iMac Pro

Mac Pro introduced in 2013 or later

View the complete list of compatible computers.

If upgrading from macOS Sierra or later, your Mac needs 35.5GB of available storage to upgrade. If upgrading from an earlier release, your Mac needs up to 44.5GB of available storage. To upgrade from OS X Mountain Lion, first upgrade to OS X El Capitan, then upgrade to macOS Big Sur.

What GPU should I get?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.