Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change in iTunes format after downloading Catalina with Big Sur

I just downloaded Big Sur and it proceeded to download Catalina which leads me to this question:

When my music library is open I'm not seeing a search box within the iTunes page, what happened to it?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 19, 2020 1:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2020 2:22 PM

See the following from Music Help in the Help menu of the Music app:

Using Search in Music, you can quickly find music from your favorite categories, view your recent search history, and search Apple Music or your library.

Even if you don’t subscribe to Apple Music, you can search for music, listen to or watch previews of music and videos, and listen to the Apple Music 1 radio station for free.

Open Music for me

• In the Music app on your Mac, click the search field in the top-left corner, then do one of the following:
    • Choose from categories: Select a genre, mood, or activity, such as Dance or Fitness.
    • Choose a recent search: Choose something you recently searched for, such as a song, artist, or album.
    • Search Apple Music: Enter what you’re searching for (such as a song title or lyric), click Apple Music on the right, then select a suggestion or press Return.
    • Search your library: Enter what you’re searching for (such as an artist or album name), click Your Library on the right, then select a suggestion or press Return.
  • Search the iTunes Store: Enter what you’re searching for (such as an artist or album name), click iTunes Store on the right, then select a suggestion or press Return.
    • If you don’t see iTunes Store, choose Music > Preferences, click General, make sure iTunes Store is selected, then click OK.
  • Your search results appear in the Music window.

To start a new search, delete the text from the search field or click the Delete button in the search field.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2020 2:22 PM in response to seattleddoowop

See the following from Music Help in the Help menu of the Music app:

Using Search in Music, you can quickly find music from your favorite categories, view your recent search history, and search Apple Music or your library.

Even if you don’t subscribe to Apple Music, you can search for music, listen to or watch previews of music and videos, and listen to the Apple Music 1 radio station for free.

Open Music for me

• In the Music app on your Mac, click the search field in the top-left corner, then do one of the following:
    • Choose from categories: Select a genre, mood, or activity, such as Dance or Fitness.
    • Choose a recent search: Choose something you recently searched for, such as a song, artist, or album.
    • Search Apple Music: Enter what you’re searching for (such as a song title or lyric), click Apple Music on the right, then select a suggestion or press Return.
    • Search your library: Enter what you’re searching for (such as an artist or album name), click Your Library on the right, then select a suggestion or press Return.
  • Search the iTunes Store: Enter what you’re searching for (such as an artist or album name), click iTunes Store on the right, then select a suggestion or press Return.
    • If you don’t see iTunes Store, choose Music > Preferences, click General, make sure iTunes Store is selected, then click OK.
  • Your search results appear in the Music window.

To start a new search, delete the text from the search field or click the Delete button in the search field.

Change in iTunes format after downloading Catalina with Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.