Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

photos library missing

When I click on the icon I get an error message that says that it cannot connect to the photos library. The photos are still there (6,000+ of them), I can access them from my phone and iPad but not my macbook pro. Is there a way to re-link? I'm running on Big Sur but this happened a few weeks before the update.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 19, 2020 3:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2020 3:40 PM

Two ways forward. (From what you've said above I'm assuming you are using iCloud photos.)

1 - Hold the option key down while starting photos. It should list the libraries on your system. If so, try opening them one at a time until you find the one with your photos (Let us know what happens)

2 - If that doesn't show any libraries (or you just want an easy life)

Create a new library (Same option key trick when starting, but just select "create new"

Put it in your pictures folder and call it photos library.photoslibrary

Open it, go to photos preferences (general tab) and click "use as system photos library"

Then go to the iCloud tab, and turn on iCloud photos.

Leave your mac on, with photos open and wait. It might take a while, but it should download all the images from iCloud into your new library.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2020 3:40 PM in response to debasencio

Two ways forward. (From what you've said above I'm assuming you are using iCloud photos.)

1 - Hold the option key down while starting photos. It should list the libraries on your system. If so, try opening them one at a time until you find the one with your photos (Let us know what happens)

2 - If that doesn't show any libraries (or you just want an easy life)

Create a new library (Same option key trick when starting, but just select "create new"

Put it in your pictures folder and call it photos library.photoslibrary

Open it, go to photos preferences (general tab) and click "use as system photos library"

Then go to the iCloud tab, and turn on iCloud photos.

Leave your mac on, with photos open and wait. It might take a while, but it should download all the images from iCloud into your new library.

Nov 20, 2020 12:24 AM in response to debasencio

No idea. As is usual with a brand new version of MacOS, it appears to have some issues. One of the penalties of being an early adopter I guess. Personally, I'll probably wait 6 months for this stuff to be sorted out.

In any case, I'm glad it seems to be on the mend. Just as a heads up, it could take a day or two to sync, and sometimes it might look as though no progress is being made. You can carry on using your mac in the meantime, just leave photos open in the background.

photos library missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.