Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple support scam

I figured out this was a scam, unfortunately it was too late. I was called by a “supposed apple tech support “ person and it scared me, I am new to apple merchandise. He was Asian Indian and asked if I’d been shopping online at Walmart or target. That there was suspected activity on my account. I was scared and gave him access through an app to access my phone. So afterwards he hung up and didn’t call me back. So I called the latest phone number back, it was a scam. The number was unused phone number. Even if I changed my passwords and deleted my cards and erased my Apple Pay, is that enough? Is my info now compromised? The biggest scare was he said Russians and Chinese were trying to use my Apple ID to purchase gift cards online.

Posted on Nov 19, 2020 3:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2020 4:29 PM

Yes that is a clear scam attempt, apple would never call you up like that

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Apple will never call you unless you have asked to be called. or have an ongoing support case.

To secure your account:

If you think your Apple ID has been compromised - Apple Support

He wont continue to have access to your account, but any information you might have provided to him he might still have, so make sure to block any credit cards you might have given, and change any passwords.

Good luck!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2020 4:29 PM in response to sonshinedove

Yes that is a clear scam attempt, apple would never call you up like that

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Apple will never call you unless you have asked to be called. or have an ongoing support case.

To secure your account:

If you think your Apple ID has been compromised - Apple Support

He wont continue to have access to your account, but any information you might have provided to him he might still have, so make sure to block any credit cards you might have given, and change any passwords.

Good luck!

Nov 20, 2020 4:37 PM in response to sonshinedove

sonshinedove Said:

"Apple support scam: I figured out this was a scam, unfortunately it was too late. I was called by a “supposed apple tech support “ person and it scared me, I am new to apple merchandise.[...]"

-------

Where to Go from here:

Report these Calls:

These calls you speak of are indeed no more than a scam. So, report these to Apple and the Government (if an option):

• To Apple: Using the Phone App - take a screenshot of that phone number and send it off to Apple. Click the encircled "i" next to the number, and send a screenshot of that window to them.

1. Go Here: Take a Screenshot on your iPhone - Apple Support

2. Describe: of what this eMail is all about: a scam

3. Attach Screenshots: containing this scam call info

4. Forward the Screenshot: to reportphishing@apple.com

• To the U.S.A. Government:

(In the U.S. Only): Report Phishing Scams' Info at www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov

Learn More Here:

Apple support scam

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.