Potentially compromised Apple ID (Apple Support Scam)

I needed help with my iwatch 9 as it will not stop recording a voice memo. I click on an apple support in my phone and I dont quite remember the sequences BUT the here are two phone numbers 877-636-**** and 818-293-****. They ask to verify you and your account which I thought was accurate. But they want you to use this Iperius Remote to access your phone. I became suspicious when they wanted to go to my apple id and verify me. I begrudingly verified my dob and email. Then they wanted a code for either cash app or apple card or pay pal. They just used this stupid idea that it was a code "489" and I said WAIT A MINUTE-- THATS GOING TO ADD CASH TO MY APPLE CASH. I said you're a scam and he insisted that he was apple care and it was not transferring monies. Once I saw it transferred $489 into my apple cash, he said, "ok if you feel uncomfortable delete your bank information." so I did. But then it all became more clear. He wanted to add a bank account number to my phone. I said, "NO WAY YOURE A SCAM!" I was SOOOO ANGRY and then I got text from 'Apple Care' from a 214-628-****. Here's another text trying to get me to answer: 301-708-****.

PLEASE DONT BE SCAMMED BY THESE PEOPLE. FOREIGN ACCENTS, BAD CONNECTIONS, AND TELLING YOU THEY ABIDE BY THE FTC AND ALL THE BS. THEY TOOK ME PRETTY FAR. SCARY.

I immediately changed my apple ID. and my bank account info was deleted. APPLE CARE SHOULD HAVE A SOLID IDENTIFIER so we know its really them. ISN'T THIS POSSIBLE?

OH, and I deleted the recording when I removed their remote takeover of my phone - I shut off my iwatch and yes, I lost the recording.:-(

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Mar 22, 2024 2:11 PM

3 replies

Mar 22, 2024 5:47 PM in response to heygirlheyLA

Apple did not make this happen and cannot stop foreign criminals. The fault here sounds familiar.

Scammers pretending to be support for well-known companies paid search engine for high placement in search results, often higher than that of the company you really want to call.

I recently did a search for Sears Appliance support and found several of tese above Sears' listing . It all about the money. Search engines don't have amazing offices and massive staffs by giving away their service. They sell ad placement.

If you have a gripe, it should be with the search engine that profited from this deceptive practice, not Apple.

Apple can not prevent these. Often search engine companies are Apple competitors. If Apple posts list of bogus numbers, the scammers simply change numbers.

The only effective tool we have for avoiding this lies between our ears.

Mar 22, 2024 2:29 PM in response to heygirlheyLA

Not sure what you mean by clicking on an Apple Support number on your phone. Here is the actual Apple Support number:

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

For anyone searching for a phone number for any company, go to the official company website and verify it is a secured connection by verifying the address starts with "https". Follow the links on their site for support. Do not search for a support number using Google or other search engine.

Mar 23, 2024 12:34 PM in response to Allan Jones

I think you have a point, I'm not blaming Apple per se but wow, these people are so dangerous. But posting the numbers do help when you have a question. I realize they change all the time but if you can help even one person not get scammed, it's worth it. And if they use a takeover software, like "Iperius remote" its best to change your appleID and passwords and any other financial info they could have grabbed. And they did ask if I had Wells Fargo -- which was the end of our call. Thank God, I just received a new iphone 15 so the IMEI and all the info they got from settings is not compromised:-/

Potentially compromised Apple ID (Apple Support Scam)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.