Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

after upgrading to BigSur my Airplay icon is missing; how do i get it back?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 19, 2020 7:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 1:21 AM

Figured out more about this change in Big Sur. I think the original rectangle with a solid triangle at the bottom icon is gone from the Apple Menu-split into two Apple Menu icons: Screen Mirroring (double rectangles) and Display (a monitor shape).

Previously, Side Car ("AirPlay" for iPads from MacOS) was located in the same menu as Apple TVs and other AirPlay compatible devices. Side Car is now part of the Display menu icon, explaining why my compatible iPad was missing from "the new icon".

In addition to the dragging method I described, these icons can be turned on and off in the Dock & Menu Bar section of System Preferences (Control Center options Display / Screen Mirroring).

This is where a "when active" and "always" setting was overriding the "Show mirroring options in the menu bar when available" option in Displays preferences, making things seem broken.

Perhaps I should give the new Control Center more use. I can get to Display and Screen Mirroring Apple Menu options in Control Center, its just one extra click (like a menu of Apple Menus). Old habits die hard.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2020 1:21 AM in response to LeRoiLeon

Figured out more about this change in Big Sur. I think the original rectangle with a solid triangle at the bottom icon is gone from the Apple Menu-split into two Apple Menu icons: Screen Mirroring (double rectangles) and Display (a monitor shape).

Previously, Side Car ("AirPlay" for iPads from MacOS) was located in the same menu as Apple TVs and other AirPlay compatible devices. Side Car is now part of the Display menu icon, explaining why my compatible iPad was missing from "the new icon".

In addition to the dragging method I described, these icons can be turned on and off in the Dock & Menu Bar section of System Preferences (Control Center options Display / Screen Mirroring).

This is where a "when active" and "always" setting was overriding the "Show mirroring options in the menu bar when available" option in Displays preferences, making things seem broken.

Perhaps I should give the new Control Center more use. I can get to Display and Screen Mirroring Apple Menu options in Control Center, its just one extra click (like a menu of Apple Menus). Old habits die hard.

Nov 21, 2020 4:04 PM in response to cleo9021

Same here. I found the Apple Menu icon comes back when you start AirPlaying from System Preferences->Displays with the "Show mirroring options in the menu bar when available" option checked. Unfortunately the new icon eventually goes away when you stop active AirPlay, even though the AirPlay device is still available.

I'm assuming the issue is caused by how Big Sur determines that AirPlay is "available", which isn't based on the way it determines what goes in the list of AirPlay destinations. 🤷‍♂️

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.