Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Top Row of Keys no longer function

On my mac wireless keyboard, the top row of keys (F keys) stopped performing their normal functions. Some open a code screen in my browser, other just give the system error beep. I've poured over the Keyboard settings and nothing seems to matter.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Nov 20, 2020 7:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2020 12:43 PM

Hello rvenne,

Thanks for asking the Apple Support Communities for help with using your Function keys.

Please check in System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard tab > there is a checkbox "Use F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys".

Make sure this checkbox is not checked. This article talks about this: How to use the function keys on your Mac - Apple Support

If this box is currently not checked and it is still not functioning as described, try the following:

1. Check the box: "Use F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys".

2. Restart your computer: How to turn your Mac on or off - Apple Support

3. Once restarted, log in and unchecked the "Use F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys" again. Re-test.

Thanks and have a wonderful day.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2020 12:43 PM in response to rvenne

Hello rvenne,

Thanks for asking the Apple Support Communities for help with using your Function keys.

Please check in System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard tab > there is a checkbox "Use F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys".

Make sure this checkbox is not checked. This article talks about this: How to use the function keys on your Mac - Apple Support

If this box is currently not checked and it is still not functioning as described, try the following:

1. Check the box: "Use F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys".

2. Restart your computer: How to turn your Mac on or off - Apple Support

3. Once restarted, log in and unchecked the "Use F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys" again. Re-test.

Thanks and have a wonderful day.

Top Row of Keys no longer function

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.