Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unknown app accessing camera of iPhone 12 pro

On my iPhone 12 Pro ( iOS 14.2.1), I repeatedly observe an unknown app or service accessing my camera which is then reported in the control centre. Is there any way to recognise the responsible app or does my phone have a virus or malware?

Can someone suggest how to fix this please. Thank you

Also attaching a screenshot to show how the alert looks like

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 20, 2020 12:15 PM

5 replies

Nov 20, 2020 12:29 PM in response to sberman

The OP is correct, I believe.

Please see screen shot below-

To reproduce the above, I opened the Yelp app and attempted to take a picture from within the Yelp app. I then closed the Yelp app and looked at the control center. At the top it notified me that the Yelp App had recently used the camera as indicated in the image above.

Axel F.

Nov 20, 2020 12:24 PM in response to Aryansuri

I would not consider malware or virus in this matter. It is more than likely an app that doesn't have the identifying code or is an older app that needs an update to get current with iOS 14.x

It will take a little bit of troubleshooting to identify this app. Open Settings ➔ Privacy ➔ Camera: Here you will all the apps that have requested access to your iPhone's camera. All those apps that are granted access are set to ON.

You an begin by setting a few apps, or one at a time, to OFF. Then monitor until you can identify which app is causing this. Depending on how frequently you see the issue happen, it could take a while.

Axel F.

Unknown app accessing camera of iPhone 12 pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.