Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini 2020 doesn't work with multi monitors

Hi. I wonder if anyone is having this issue. I have a Mac mini 2020 with the M1 processor connected to two new monitors, one in HDMI and another in Thunderbolt with a USB C to HDMI adapter. When the computer is turned on or wake ups from sleep, the displays go crazy. There is flickering and broken graphics. The only way I found to get it back is to change the scale. And now is doing it once every few minutes. Is driving me crazy and turns the Mac mini useless to the point I'm thinking on returning it. Anyone has similar issues with multiple monitors? Thanks!

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Nov 20, 2020 1:22 PM

Similar questions

10 replies

Nov 30, 2020 7:21 AM in response to macrojd

macrojd wrote:

Hi. I wonder if anyone is having this issue. I have a Mac mini 2020 with the M1 processor connected to two new monitors, one in HDMI and another in Thunderbolt with a USB C to HDMI adapter. When the computer is turned on or wake ups from sleep, the displays go crazy. There is flickering and broken graphics. The only way I found to get it back is to change the scale. And now is doing it once every few minutes. Is driving me crazy and turns the Mac mini useless to the point I'm thinking on returning it. Anyone has similar issues with multiple monitors? Thanks!

You can read the tech specs for yourself: https://www.apple.com/mac-mini/specs/

You have a limited 14-days to return for a full refund or exchange for one that suits you better.

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

Nov 28, 2020 6:30 PM in response to macrojd

Hi macrojd,

Thanks for reaching out! We want you to have a great experience with your Mac and are happy to help out. To get started, can you let us know which version of macOS is currently installed?

If the Mac hasn't been upgraded to macOS 11.0.1 yet, let's go ahead and do that now using How to update the software on your Mac

Please let us know what you find!

Nov 30, 2020 7:33 AM in response to macrojd

Hello macrojd,

you are not the only one who is experiencing these issues with their dual display setup on the new Mac mini M1.

We have at least one other thread with multiple users experiencing the same thing.

Unfortunately none of our approaches were successful yet and many of us are in contact with the Apple support already.

Our current assumption is that it is a Big Sur issue.

This is the link to the ongoing discussion. On page 4 at the bottom you can find a long list of things that I have already tried to fix this: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252072263?answerId=254009168022&login=true

Nov 29, 2020 12:50 AM in response to KMB_12

Hi, Karen. This is a brand new Mac Mini 2020 with an M1 processor connected to two brand new ThinkVision monitors (P24q-10), one connected to the HDMI port and another to a Thunderbolt port with an adapter (USB-C to HDMI).

To better illustrate my problem, I uploaded the following video to Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1gpgcLzOCY

In the video, you can see me restarting the computer. Once the computer restarts, I insert the password and then the screen goes black and after that the monitors start blinking. The blinking only stops when I go to Preferences, Displays, and change the scale of the displays to any number. Also, the arrangement of the monitors is wrong and sometimes the scales are wrong as well. This happens every time I turn on the computer, or the computer comes back from sleep, or even when I keep the computer running and turn off the monitors. When I turn the monitors back on the configuration and arrangements are wrong. So it doesn't matter what I do, every time I want to work with this new computer, I have to reset the configuration of the monitors to get it to work.

Since everything is fixed by changing the scale, I'm assuming this is a system bug, not hardware.

I'd appreciate any help, because this is a new computer and it is driving me crazy.

Thanks

Nov 30, 2020 7:37 AM in response to leroydouglas

I don't understand what you mean. The specs says that the machine supports TWO monitors of a resolution UP to 6K and 4K, one connected to HDMI and another to Thunderbolt. My monitors are both less than 4K (they have 1440 resolution) and one is connected to HDMI and another to Thunderbolt with an adapter (USB C to HDMI).

It would be helpful if you are more specific. For instance:

Is the adapter from USB C to HDMI the problem???

Should I change the adapter to a USB C to DisplayPort adapter and connect the second monitor to the DisplayPort instead of the HDMI port???

Thanks

Mac mini 2020 doesn't work with multi monitors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.