Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 MacBook Pro with 16 GB keeps restarting unexpectedly

Attempting to install Adobe creative cloud and using Microsoft office would make the cursor freeze and the screen turns black. The system would then restart on its own. I tried this multiple times and already did a clean install of 11.0.1 which didn’t resolve this issue. Even trying to update office apps would restart the computer during install. I get a system error “s0cd report detected: Ap watchdog detected”. Other apps like Mindnode works fine. Is this a software or hardware issue?

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Nov 20, 2020 6:19 PM

27 replies

Feb 11, 2021 2:24 AM in response to jtsang777

Mac Mini M1 16GB keeps crashing and then restarting randomly on all applications with following error message:

I was asked by Apple second level support to provide details of the crash reports logged when it happens. 

It is [SOCD report detected: (AP watchdog expired)

SOCD report detected: (AP watchdog expired)

Even when idle. 

Steps taken with 2nd level support:

1. MAC OS REINSTALL.
  2. MAC DISK ERASE AND REINSTALL FROM ICLOUD.
  3. ISSUE ALSO HAPPENS IN GUEST MODE LOG IN.

May 17, 2021 7:21 AM in response to magic100

Agree. I have spent 6 months with apple essentially gaslighting me and telling me that this issue i have at least 6-7 time a day isn't actually happening. Frozen scree, flashes to pink and black, and the restarts itself (sometimes more than one in a cycle, it will restart only to restart again).

1. The computer they sold me has a fatal flaw but no one will accept that is the case. It has been sent to service technicians three times (wiped of all data all three times, inconvenient for me with no backup computer)
  2. I flagged this issue the first month of receiving the laptop and apple su[pport jerked me around to run out my window of return time, so now I am stuck with a computer that they KNOW never worked properly, and are blaming me as if its some user error issue
  3. I was promised they would do everything they can to get a case written up for a replacement, and after following all of their insane requests (another wipe of the device plus captuing disk image at every single time, with time stamp, that the pink screen flashes) now they are telling me oh well. the engineers aren't see anything and you'd need to send us your computer again. We are unable to replace the device.
  4. I suggested that maybe I need to speak to legal support as this feels like a breach of customer contract/warranty and the attitude I got was "fuck around and find out then"

I have been an apple user for the last 15 years and have never been treated this way. I'm disgusted as this product was very expensive and I count on a new laptop purchase to last me at LEAST a few years. I'm losing work, losing productivity, and feel like I was sold a dysfunctional product at a premium price. On top of that i'm being treat like absolute **** by customer service and support with absolutely no recourse. I'm at my wits end and want EVERYONE to know just how badly apple is treating people who are long time customers of their crap.

Jan 15, 2021 8:51 AM in response to henry_sydney

henry_sydney--

yours definitely sounds like a Hardware issue.

You should contact support using the link at the top of every forum web page. they can arrange for an in-store visit or send you a courier pack to send your unit it for depot service.

If and only if you bough DIRECT from Apple, and NOT through a Reseller, you have 14 days free exchange (but you may have to return yours and wait while they build you a new one).

Jan 20, 2021 1:30 AM in response to jtsang777

I've had a few sudden green screen crashes on any M1 MBP 16GB, which isn't great and lost work.

The latest was renaming small images files in Finder (1-70), after it was completed the last file was named 72 even through there were only 70 files, after looking it seemed to have missed out 11 and 31 for some strange reason.

On attempting to rename again it crashed and restarted with the error code.

"SOCD report detected: (AP watchdog expired)"

Seems a very simple task to have crashed the supposedly powerful device.

Jan 27, 2021 9:18 AM in response to RonaldKame

Before taking my device to the service centre I spent just under three hours talking to various levels of Apple support.

iCloud was logged out of before the wipe. The error I subsequently had after an apple supervised wipe (well three wipes) was that the OS wouldn't allow me to create a user account (they told me to skip signing into iCloud), saying the information entered wasn't allowed.

However when the apple engineer told me to shutdown and restart the accounts were created but wouldn't accept the password. Passwordreset didn't resolve this. The engineer said "I have no idea what is going on".

Hence my visit to the service centre to do diagnostics. Hopefully they can explain why it crashed in the first place and. Hopefully it's now fully resolved, it won't happen again again but if it does how to resolve it without the disruption of going to a service centre, especially when it goes out of warranty.

Mar 26, 2021 8:27 AM in response to jtsang777

I have been completely let down by Apple. More than 50 phone calls. So many in 2nd level support fail to call me at the time scheduled.

received interesting call from a very Senior Department in Apple USA during which i was informed that 13 Engineers are reading this thread great concern. They spent 90minutes asking detailed questions. Suggested I continue with 2nd level support on this matter. I wish i has explained that 2nd level support has not even physically examined or serviced my m1 mini yet, despite 3 months of phone calls, software reinstalling and log extraction.

unbelievable how bad my experience has been with Apple.

May 17, 2021 7:39 AM in response to mkatkell33

I feel for you and myself have made over 75phone calls. I am now at the point where even if they replace it I could end end up with a replacement product with same or even worse behaviour. I am convinced it is all related to USB connectivity.

i never get the SOCD message and restart when no usb device is connected. It is using hdmi for tv as my monitor.

i have tried to stop getting frustrated. My plan is to hope a generation 2 device with maybe a M2 chip comes out. At that point I will do an Apple trade in.

M1 MacBook Pro with 16 GB keeps restarting unexpectedly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.