Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur Installer: "An error occurred loading the update."

I am trying to install my MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2018, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports) to Big Sur. I have downloaded the installer. When I run it, I can click through the Software Agreement, select my disk (Macintosh HD), then get to the progress bar that says "About 15 minute remaining".

About two minutes in, I get a a slide out dialog that says "An error occurred loading the update." Nothing else.

The computer, per Get Info on the disk, has 36.86 GB (28.94 GB purgeable).

What may be the problem? Thanks!

Posted on Nov 21, 2020 5:09 PM

7 replies

Dec 18, 2020 10:06 AM in response to Marcos Kirsch

As @ a brody has outlined Empty Space for Big Sur is required and Apple has mentioned it very clearly.

Excerpt verbatim " f upgrading from macOS Sierra or later, macOS Big Sur requires 35.5GB of available storage to upgrade. If upgrading from an earlier release, macOS Big Sur requires up to 44.5GB of available storage. To upgrade from OS X Mountain Lion, first upgrade to OS X El Capitan, then upgrade to macOS Big Sur."

Now, if anyone has AntiVirus, Optimizers , Disk Cleanup etc installed - there will be many issues to be resolved before attempting the Upgrade

Feb 12, 2021 4:13 AM in response to Marcos Kirsch

I am trying to install my MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2018, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports) to Big Sur. I have downloaded the installer. When I run it, I can click through the Software Agreement, select my disk (Macintosh HD), then get to the progress bar that says "About 15 minute remaining".

About two minutes in, I get a a slide out dialog that says "An error occurred loading the update." Nothing else.

Jan 30, 2021 12:38 PM in response to Marcos Kirsch

I got the same error.

On my system there wasn't a space problem or a problem with the SSD.

I downloaded the full install package directly from Apple and that failed with the same error.

I created an USB installer with that direct download of Big Sur and the install failed with the same error.

I tried a clean install with the USB installer and the install failed with the same error.

I removed my WiFi networks from the MacBook and turned off WiFi. I then connected the MacBook to the

network via Ethernet using a ThunderBolt/Ethernet adapter.

I then retried the upgrade install using the USB installer and the Ethernet connection and success it completed the installation of Big Sur with no problems.

Feb 12, 2021 4:53 AM in response to yordan193

In your case - suggest shutdown by whatever means possible. Disconnect all external drives and connect to charger. Restart in Safe Mode - immediately at startup hold Shift key. It does a Repair Disk, clears cache files and only loads required Apple Software so . . it loads slowly - Normal. If it works, it may allow the installer of Big Sur to complete the installation and present the Setup Assist

Big Sur Installer: "An error occurred loading the update."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.