Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiple Apple TV default audio outputs?

Hi everyone,

I’ve had a bit of an issue since updating to tvOS14.2 - and wondered if anyone had experienced similar?

Before updating, I used to be able to select both my TV speakers and HomePod as audio outputs, which made for more of a surround sound ‘feel’ in the room.

Since updating, this option no longer seems possible - I can only select one or the other.

I wondered whether this was a setup issue - or if Apple had simply disabled this feature? Would be a real shame if so!

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 14

Posted on Nov 22, 2020 3:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2020 10:11 AM

They just disabled the feature, you cannot longer select 3rd party speakers as your default audio output. You can still select your HomePods though, that’s why they did it.

But you can still play both at the same time, at least in my case, hold down the “Home” button on your AppleTV remote, the one that looks like a TV. And a menu will pop up on screen, in the bottom left you can select first your external speakers, get out of that menu, and then hold down the button again, and it will let you select your TV speakers, at least in my system it lets me.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 22, 2020 10:11 AM in response to SeanButcher

They just disabled the feature, you cannot longer select 3rd party speakers as your default audio output. You can still select your HomePods though, that’s why they did it.

But you can still play both at the same time, at least in my case, hold down the “Home” button on your AppleTV remote, the one that looks like a TV. And a menu will pop up on screen, in the bottom left you can select first your external speakers, get out of that menu, and then hold down the button again, and it will let you select your TV speakers, at least in my system it lets me.

Multiple Apple TV default audio outputs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.