Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is CarPlay no longer working in my 2019 RAM vehicle?

CarPlay used to work just fine in my 2019 RAM but for some reason no longer works. iOS 14 issue?

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 22, 2020 7:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2020 7:59 AM

Try and Force Restart your iPhone EXACTLY as shown below and see whether that resolves the issue:

• Press and quickly release Volume UP button
  • Press and quickly release Volume DOWN button
  • Press and Hold the SIDE button until an Apple logo appears and then release the Side button (Can take up to 20 seconds. (DO NOT release Side Button when invited to Slide Power OFF). 

Axel F.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 22, 2020 7:59 AM in response to russellfromfort worth

Try and Force Restart your iPhone EXACTLY as shown below and see whether that resolves the issue:

• Press and quickly release Volume UP button
  • Press and quickly release Volume DOWN button
  • Press and Hold the SIDE button until an Apple logo appears and then release the Side button (Can take up to 20 seconds. (DO NOT release Side Button when invited to Slide Power OFF). 

Axel F.

Nov 22, 2020 1:03 PM in response to Axel Foley

I followed the your directions to the letter and that did not work. I tried several things I have seen on RAM forums. Use an Apple lightning cable. Plug the cable in before you start the vehicle. Plug in the cable after the car has started. Turned on mirror projection of the phone in the settings on the truck. Siri works.. CarPlay does not. It used to work but not sure after what iOS update it stopped working...

I ordered a USB-C to lightning cable and should be here Tuesday

Nov 23, 2020 12:16 PM in response to Axel Foley

I forgot my iPhone 11 Pro Max came with a USB-C to Lightning cable. I gave it a try today and still got the message device not supported. Still, Siri works. CarPlay does not. I contacted RAM Care and they said take the truck to the dealer to have it checked out. I won't be able to have it checked out till sometime next week....

BTW... Here is a picture of the USB hub in the 2019 RAM 1500 Truck.

Nov 22, 2020 1:07 PM in response to russellfromfort worth

A USB-C to Lightning Cable? Do you have a USB-C port in your DODGE RAM to connect to for CarPlay? Normally cars only have the standard USB port. Please double check. I believe that the standard USB to Lightning cable would have sufficed if you are talking about connecting your iPhone to the port of your RAM.

If you have ordered the USB-C to Lightning cable for something completely different then that is fine (For ex. charging your iPhone purposes outside of your car etc).

Axel F.

Nov 23, 2020 4:57 AM in response to Axel Foley

Yes. I have two standard USB ports and two USB-C ports in my 2019 RAM(New). Standard apple lightning USB cable did not work. I read on the RAM forum that some switched to an Apple lightning USB-C cable and had no issues. I find that hard to believe but, it was worth a try. Cable will arrive Tuesday and I will check back in.

Nov 23, 2020 7:59 PM in response to russellfromfort worth

Thanks for the posting the picture.

Good Luck at the Dealer. I hope they can figure it out and I am afraid that what may happen is that the dealer will tell you that the head unit will need to be updated to keep with the changes in iOS version 14.

If you can reboot / reset the head unit and then try again with what you have then see if that works. You may have already done that.

Axel F.

Dec 7, 2020 4:09 AM in response to russellfromfort worth

Major issues with CarPlay are all over the place since the latest update(s) (14, 14.1, 14.2), including here, Reddit, anywhere you look. This is a huge issue. Here we have a brand new Acura TLX 2021. Our two iPhones XS Max used to work perfectly fine… till we upgraded to 14.2. Now CarPlay is not working at all and we've tried all the tricks and fixes suggested by the gurus.

Nothing to be done. It is quite a stretch that each car manufacturer has to fix things in order to correct something wrong with Apple iOS. Don't get me wrong, I'm an Apple power user and a fan. But let's call the shots correctly here. It's Apple's fault, even if in some cases a fix seems to work. Had I known, I would never have updated beyond 13.x, never. Lesson learned the hard way here. My phone is a tool, not a toy, and I expect it to work seamlessly after an update. At the very least, they should have warned us. My guess is that they simply didn't know.

Why is CarPlay no longer working in my 2019 RAM vehicle?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.