Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

CarPlay disconnecting (Mazda CX5-2023)

I have very severe issue with connecting Apple CarPlay with wireless and with cable. Whenever it is connected to CarPlay with my iPhone 14(pro max; updated to 16.2), one to two minutes later, it is automatically disconnected and message showed failure to connect. At this time, connecting with cable also noted the same problem. I have been consulted with Car's factory and they said it was totally OK with software.

How can I solve this problem ?? Thanks a lot.

iPhone 14 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Dec 18, 2022 11:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2023 5:09 PM

It’s a Mazda issue which they refuse to recognize! I’ve had my whole Infotainment System replaced and it still disconnects! On the 2023 models they have a whole new system and have eliminated the wireless connection. I think they just don’t bother to adjust their firmware to be compatible with Apple’s. Mazda has a horrible, buggy infotainment system full stop!

27 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2023 5:09 PM in response to zengnoris

It’s a Mazda issue which they refuse to recognize! I’ve had my whole Infotainment System replaced and it still disconnects! On the 2023 models they have a whole new system and have eliminated the wireless connection. I think they just don’t bother to adjust their firmware to be compatible with Apple’s. Mazda has a horrible, buggy infotainment system full stop!

Feb 2, 2023 11:53 AM in response to ASTRO24

I have this problem using a cable in Mazda CX5-2016. All of the steps described by ASTRO24 miss the point that the phone does connect and start carplay properly. Then, after operating for 1-2 minutes, Carplay spontaneously reboots in the car. The phone is an iPhone 13, and running iOS 16.3. Problem also occurred in iOS 16.1, 16.2. Did not occur in iOS 15. In my case, it does eventually reconnect after about 5 minutes, but loss of information while driving is distracting and a major inconvenience if relying on mapping information.

Mar 4, 2023 8:51 AM in response to rerun61

iPhone 13 Pro Max, 2021 Mazda6 Carbon Edition, been having same problem for weeks. Start the car, CarPlay connects, couple of minutes into my commute, CarPlay disconnects. Sometimes it’ll come back on by itself after switching to FM radio. If I reboot the Mazda system by holding down the volume knob, Nav button and back button, it’ll usually reconnect. I’ve lately been using my Pandora through Bluetooth, no issues. Just lose the CarPlay maps and interface. Probably keep using Bluetooth until they sort this issue out.

Feb 15, 2023 9:32 PM in response to zengnoris

zengnoris Said:

"CarPlay disconnecting (Mazda CX5-2023)"

-------

Troubleshooting CarPlay:

What to Try:

A. Pair in Park:

Try unpairing the phone. Then, pair it back. Perform this while in while in park.

If that does not work...

B. View the Owner's Manual:

See what the Owner's Manual of your car says when you read it.

Also...

C. Report this to Apple:

Do your part: Let Apple know what is going on here. Provide them with feedback on this. They may not get back to you directly, but the more feedback they received on this, the more they will know what is going on, and what needs to be fixed in updates to come.

1. Go Here: Feedback - iPhone - Apple
  2. Comment: that it is after installing iOS15 whet the issue began
  3. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  4. Proceed from there aw necessary

Feb 13, 2023 7:43 AM in response to zengnoris

Good morning to all

I thought I was the only one with this problem, I have an Iphone 12 and I did the update to 16.3 and it worked fine for 8 days and now, I have spent hours on the phone with apple, with verizon and no one can find the fault, I also took my car to mazda and they said everything was fine, so now I do not know what to do because no one can find what the problem is, I keep insisting that it has to do with the apple update and still do not find how to fix it.

Feb 15, 2023 9:04 PM in response to AndreLunA

This same problem is happening to me with IPhone 14 and Mazda CX5. I had Mazda replace the infotainment system in my 2022 car and it is still happening so it’s either a software issue with Apple or with Mazda. It’s so frustrating! I wonder if this happens in other Carplay units in other cars? I’ve tried all the troubleshooting suggestions and nothing solves the issue.

Dec 20, 2022 3:58 PM in response to zengnoris

Hi zengnoris,

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities.

With CarPlay disconnecting there are a few steps that can be done. There's not need to repeat any steps that have previously been performed.

1. Check your connection to your CarPlay stereo:
*If you have a wired connection, try connecting again with a different USB cable to a different USB port if you have one.
*If you have a wireless connection, make sure that Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are enabled under Settings > Wi-Fi and Settings > Bluetooth.
2. If CarPlay doesn't activate automatically, look for the CarPlay logo on your car's display.
3. Restart your iPhone and your car. 
4. Make sure that Siri is on.
5. If your iPhone isn't detected by CarPlay, make sure that CarPlay isn't restricted. Go to Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions, tap Allowed Apps and make sure that CarPlay is enabled.
6. Go to Settings > General > CarPlay, tap your car, then tap Forget This Car. Then set up CarPlay again.
7. Make sure that your CarPlay stereo is using the latest firmware from the car manufacturer. Check your car's manual for more information.

If you still have issues connecting to CarPlay, contact Apple Support.

These steps can be found in If you need help with CarPlay.

Regards.

Apr 7, 2023 11:52 AM in response to zengnoris

Hey all. Brought my car in for post-storage service. Turns out my issue was a malfunctioning SD Card for the in car nav. Mazda updated my Connect system from v70->v74 and pulled out the card. Problem solved.

They also offered to sell me another SD Card for $475CAD. I politely declined. Because that’s silly. So. If you have an SD Card in your nav slot, try taking it out…

Mar 26, 2023 5:02 PM in response to FL-Maan

Mazda Miata RF with IPhone 13 Pro Max. Constant disconnections with Apple CarPlay, which is quite dangerous trying to reestablish a connection while driving a stick shift and getting lost with no navigation. Both Bluetooth and wired connections fail within five mins of starting the car and is quite annoying esp when you’re jamming to a song then to have it suddenly shut off. I also switched my cable to a genuine apple product and still experience dropping. Tried updating the car’s infotainment system. Tried re-pairing Bluetooth. Nothing works. The only thing I can think of that has changed is the iOS 16 update to my iphone. Before the update, I had a solid connection. Apple please fix.

Apr 3, 2023 9:58 AM in response to dashto

For what it's worth, my 2016 Mazda with Carplay has been rebooting the entertainment system a few minutes after starting the car, even with no phone attached. With phone attached, I get weird delays and latency moving around the UI. This did not happen before the release of iOS16, but the restart of the mazda entertainment system happens with no phone attached.

May 14, 2023 3:11 PM in response to zengnoris

I may have found a solution. I noticed that all of my drops, whether directly connected or via Bluetooth, happen while using Spotify and Waze simultaneously. So I tried using only Apple’s proprietary apps - Apple Maps with the Apple Podcast app. It’s been a few months of driving with no drops so far! Can someone else test this out and verify that this has solved the disconnecting issue?    (2021 Mazda MX5 RF/iPhone 13 Pro Max/IOS 16.4.1)

Mar 27, 2024 12:29 PM in response to zengnoris

I don’t know if this will help you, but I had a similar problem with my 2022 Mazda, CX5 and my iPhone 15 Pro plus. Most of the time I couldn’t even connect. But then I bought this little $10 adapter off of Amazon and it corrected the problem. MyMazda now connects to my iPhone every time and does not lose connection. On Amazon it is called a Basesailor USB to USB C Adapter...

Apr 8, 2023 6:52 AM in response to rerun61

My issue is a bit more confusing. I have a 2016 CX5, that never did this until about 3 months ago. So I presumed it was related to a phone SW release. But since it does it occasionally with no phone connected and it was fine for 6 years, I can't really blame a firmware or SW update. And if it's a mazda issue, it wasn't an issue for a long time. so IDK.

CarPlay disconnecting (Mazda CX5-2023)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.