Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

4th Gen 2020 M1 Mac mini bluetooth issues with Magic Mouse2

Just got the brand new Mac mini (M1, 2020 8gb and 256gb - macOS big sur 11.0.1). The bluetooth connection between my Magic Mouse 2 and the mini drops during use (2-3 times an hour). The drop is very odd too - it always drops twice in quick fashion (it drops, I wiggle the mouse and click, it reconnects then immediately drops where I wiggle/click again and it connects for a longer period of time).

I worked with apple support who had me remove the plist files, but after rebooting I ran into the same issues. Any advice?

I have the mini connected via usb c cable to my acer 27" monitor. I use the same mouse, keyboard, monitor, and cable to connect to my 2018 MacBookpro 13 (Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7) and have never had issues. I even plugged in the MacBookpro after getting my mini to see if it was happening there again - nope. It's only the mini.

Mac mini, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 22, 2020 8:13 AM

711 replies

Jan 23, 2021 2:39 PM in response to pebceb

Howard O. (eclecticlight.co) is a long time Mac writer and technical expert. He posted an article in his blog to assist us in analyzing the cause(s) if our bluetooth problems. See https://eclecticlight.co/2021/01/23/bluetooth-utilities-to-help-diagnose-disconnections/ . The article may give us some new ways to look at our problem.

He lists three tools which offer Bluetooth diagnosis capabilities of Apple's Bluetooth Explorer has already been mentioned in this thread (see https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252078550?answerId=254324698022#254324698022). Apple Bluetooth Explorer is free to download with an Apple Developer account.

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

Jan 8, 2021 8:57 AM in response to forappie

Follow-up to my original post using an Asus dongle iso built-in Bluetooth (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252078550?answerId=254319439022#254319439022)

Using Apple's own utility Bluetooth Explorer, I extracted the following graphs which give an indication how Bluetooth performs.

Notable differences between the built-in and Asus bluetooth hardware:

• Apple's bluetooth power is significantly higher than Asus dongle (which is consistently transmitting at 3%)
  • Retransmission % of Apple's bluetooth module is consistently higher than Asus which doesn't re-transmit any packages it looks

I have an Apple keyboard, mouse and trackpad connected plus a B&W PX5 headset. Apple bluetooth module also tries to connect to my iPhone (red line -- the Asus doesn't show the iPhone as I have never paired it).

Please note the colors may not denote the same device is both graphs.

First picture is Apple bluetooth, the 2nd Asus dongle:

Asus USB-BT400 dongle

Jan 7, 2021 2:21 PM in response to msimpsonsoc

I didn't read all of the (21) pages but this is what worked for me until Apple fixes it (Mac Mini M1):

• Bought an Asus USB-BT400 Bluetooth USB dongle (€12-15)
  • Connected a (2006!) wired keyboard and mouse while my wireless Apple devices can't be used
  • Made Bluetooth visible in the menu bar (through the Bluetooth preference pane in System Preferences)
  • Hold the Option-key while clicking the Bluetooth icon in the menu bar -- note the address (this should be the Mac's internal bluetooth MAC address)
  • Hold the Shift+Option keys and click Bluetooth icon in menu bar and select "Factory reset all connected Apple devices" (for me: keyboard, Magic Mouse and Trackpad)
  • Pressed the same combination/click and "Remove all devices" (for me: Bluetooth headset)

By now you shouldn't have any bluetooth device connected

• Connect the Asus dongle (can be directly connected to the Mini M1 USB-A but I connected it to my 2014 Dell 27" monitor)
  • Restart the Mini M1
  • (Open About this Mac --> System Report --> Bluetooth to see what Bluetooth hardware is active -- check and compare the (MAC) address of the dongle with what it listed on your screen).
  • Alternatively, hold the Option key while clicking the Bluetooth icon. The address should be different and the same as listed on the packaging of your Asus dongle.
  • If the address hasn't changed you can force the Mini to switch from the internal to an external USB Bluetooth dongle in 2 ways in Terminal -- read the comments after '//' and decide what suits your best -- I used the 'default' option (admin account required -- copy text before the '//' -- HCI = Host Controller Interface = Active bluetooth hardware (eg Asus)):
    • sudo nvram bluetoothHostControllerSwitchBehavior=default // when a new HCI is connected, the built-in driver only disconnects from the built in HCI and attaches to the external HCI if the new module is not an Apple module.
    • sudo nvram bluetoothHostControllerSwitchBehavior=always // when a new HCI is connected, the built-in driver disconnects from the built in HCI and attaches to the external HCI
    • To list all parameters:
      • nvram -p
    • To delete the parameter (and revert to the original situation):
      • sudo nvram -d bluetoothHostControllerSwitchBehavior
    • the above information came from a retired Apple developer web page: https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/technotes/tn2295/_index.html
  • restart your Mac
  • Check your active bluetooth hardware in Open About this Mac --> System Report --> Bluetooth or hold the Option key while clicking the Bluetooth icon
  • Reconnect you devices through System Preferences --> Bluetooth

It may cost you €15 until Apple solves this problem but for me it improves my new Mini M1's usability tremendously in the mean time (no more mouse tracking problems and headset stutter).

If you want to dig deeper in Bluetooth working on your Mac search for Apple 's Bluetooth Explorer utility (available through Apple Developer web site).

Success!

Jan 8, 2021 12:56 AM in response to forappie

Addendum to my post (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252078550?answerId=254319439022#254319439022):

The above set-up works also after a restart but was only persistent after an overnight shutdown after I disabled FileVault (unfortunately).

Also a few considerations regarding the choice of a dongle:

• Many dongles available on the market do not work with MacOS. So be careful what you buy
  • Asus USB-BT400 is listed as Mac compatible on amazon.de but not on amazon.com. I took the chance and it works for me.
  • Logitech Unifying dongle will work with compatible devices (up to 6) but not clear to me whether I could use my Apple devices and B&W PS5 headset
  • Hideez also sell Mac compatible dongle but I ruled this one out after reading about poor build quality

Nov 24, 2020 12:15 PM in response to msimpsonsoc

Apple needs to figure this out FAST! New M1 Macs are selling like hot cakes and all apparently have this potential showstopper Bluetooth problem. Mine affects Magic Mouse, Magic Keyboard and AirPods II (audio becomes choppy). All of these problems are intermittent, but go away for a while after a restart.

one thing to check is the presence of other Apple Bluetooth devices that may have used the Mouse, Keyboard or AirPods previously. I removed all from the other machines Bluetooth, but it just feels like the issue might be caused by the machines competing for the devices attention.

Anyways, nothing more frustrating than clicking on something and having your mouse randomly freeze, then seeing your mouse has “disconnected” from your brand new Mac Mini. Crazy stuff, please help Apple!

Nov 25, 2020 8:03 AM in response to msimpsonsoc

This problem is all over the internet.

I have the Mac Mini M1 (8/256), new Magic Mouse 2 and new Magic Keyboard. The keyboard does not drop out. The mouse drops out approximately 5 times every 10 minutes. It is confirmed on the monitor that the mouse is disconnected/reconnected. I have tried powering down devices to no avail. No peripherals are nearby or connected other than a Dell display and the keyboard/mouse.

At this point, the device cannot be used for productivity work. I will need to send it back if there is no software patch to fix. While I have had intermittent bluetooth issues with Apple devices in the past, this is different. They were random and did not occur often.

Nov 28, 2020 11:07 AM in response to msimpsonsoc

I may have "fixed" the issue with the Magic Mouse disconnecting and reconnecting repeatedly. System Preferences/Bluetooth/Advanced...uncheck "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer". The issue was happening all morning (and since I received the M1 Mac Mini) and has stopped since I unchecked the box. I am using a USB Keyboard, so that is how I will wake from sleep. So far, so good though.

Feb 2, 2021 4:42 AM in response to msimpsonsoc

I have followed this thread for a very long time and experienced some periodic Bluetooth disconnects. I now have installed all available updates and I'm experiencing no Bluetooth issues whatsoever (despite receiving chain power errors). It's my feeling that this issue has basically been solved and anybody experiencing issues likely has other problems. In any event, my M1 Mac mini is working like a dream and I wouldn't discourage anybody from purchasing it at this point.

Good luck to all of you but I'm out of here thank goodness.!

Nov 29, 2020 9:47 AM in response to mikegetz

If you have the hardware/cables available, please test this on your setup. Try a different monitor(s) and/or try different cabling options (both type and/or manufacturer)

Whereas I was getting dropouts consistently, they have stopped for 48 hrs after sending back a new Dell 27 inch monitor with a USB Type-C connection. I now have the Mac Mini M1 connected to my wife's setup with two display connections: 1) HDMI- A Dell 27 inch at 2560 x 1440, 2) USB-C port but using the USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter to connect to HDMI through a 2nd Dell 27 inch at 2560 x 1440. Image of connections is included below.

I do not know why it is working. The monitor I sent back is the same as the two monitors that I am currently using, but was the Dell with a direct USB-C connection. I was using the USB-C cable that came with the monitor and sent that back as well.

Since I made the change to two HDMI displays, I have had no dropouts while using (in multiple configurations):

1. Magic Mouse 2
  2. Magic Keyboard without Numeric Keypad
  3. Logitech MX Anywhere 2S Mouse
  4. HP Wireless Keyboard
  5. AirPods (first edition)
  6. Powerbeats Pro (original black)
  7. JBL Charge (wireless bluetooth speaker)
  8. HP USB-C dock (both connected to Mini and without for connecting directly to Ethernet)
  9. Apple TV 4K

I have also placed an 11 inch iPad Pro 2018 without cellular, an iPhone 8, and an iPhone 12 Mini next to the Mac Mini and next to the bluetooth accessories. No matter what I throw at it, I cannot disrupt the Bluetooth connections. This is in comparison to 5-10 disconnections/reconnections every 10 minutes.

I also tested placing the USB-C dongle HDMI monitor connection in the other USB-C port. No dropouts.

Things that I tried that did NOT work prior to sending back monitor

Resetting the PRAM and the bluetooth module, multiple restarts and changing the position/location of my setup. I also tried turning off the WiFi and using a direct Ethernet connection using an HP USB-C dock

Jan 6, 2021 11:36 AM in response to Artiste212

I too have been reporting my issues here. They are as follows on two different Mac minis M1:

1. Mouse (Magic Mouse 2)losing Bluetooth connection
  2. Keyboard (Magic Keyboard) delaying characters when typing causing errors
  3. AirPods (Original) losing connection when they are the only Bluetooth audio device and
  4. Failing to connect if I am connected to another Bluetooth Audio speaker
  5. Apple LG 27" 5K Monitor showing a vertical screen distortion in two locations on the screen from top to bottom (I can temporarily fix this by unplugging USB C connection and reconnecting it; however, it comes back). I have tried different USB C cables, one that came from LG and one purchased from Apple with the same results.

I love the speed of the device and the ability to run some IOS applications but Apple needs to fix these issues. Twenty pages of people complaining of these and other issues should be sufficient to get Apple's attention to resolve the problems. Of course, it could be a bug in the chip in which case replacement or a class action law suit may be needed to fix the issue. I intend to post this message along with a link to this thread on various web sites in hopes it will stop there complacency and spur action. I am inserting images of the screen shots with the distortion outlined in red.

Jan 25, 2021 10:37 AM in response to sgmerley

Searching again, actually I see only a handful of items with this error but definitely all in connection with BT disconnects. It would be great if others with this problem could download Bluetooth Explorer and confirm:

https://download.developer.apple.com/Developer_Tools/Additional_Tools_for_Xcode_12/Additional_Tools_for_Xcode_12.dmg

When you run the dmg file, you will see BT explorer.

4th Gen 2020 M1 Mac mini bluetooth issues with Magic Mouse2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.