Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imovie audio lost

I often lose the audio content when I import mp4 clips into iMovie. When I play the clips beforehand in QuickTime there's sound but when I import to iMovie (even doing one-file-at-a-time) sometimes the audio has disappeared. So I end up with a new project of, say, six clips, of which two are silent. Annoying . . .

Any ideas, please?

I'm running Catalina 10.15.7 and iMovie 10.2.1.

Thank you.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 22, 2020 11:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2020 11:40 AM

Hi, Trip35,

iMovie is a bit more sensitive to audio codecs than QuickTimePlayer. Try converting your troublesome clips to H.264, Mp4/AAC with the free download, Handbrake. Do that even if the codec already is indicated to be Mp4/AAC. Re-rendering often cures audio issues.

You can get Handbrake here:

https://handbrake.fr/

A simple way to do it without fiddling with settings is to open Handbrake and do a File/Open Source. Navigate to your video and choose it as the source from the resulting screen. Then do File/Start Encoding. Wait a couple of minutes for the conversion to complete. Then save and import the converted clip into iMovie. Now see if you get audio.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 22, 2020 11:40 AM in response to Trip35

Hi, Trip35,

iMovie is a bit more sensitive to audio codecs than QuickTimePlayer. Try converting your troublesome clips to H.264, Mp4/AAC with the free download, Handbrake. Do that even if the codec already is indicated to be Mp4/AAC. Re-rendering often cures audio issues.

You can get Handbrake here:

https://handbrake.fr/

A simple way to do it without fiddling with settings is to open Handbrake and do a File/Open Source. Navigate to your video and choose it as the source from the resulting screen. Then do File/Start Encoding. Wait a couple of minutes for the conversion to complete. Then save and import the converted clip into iMovie. Now see if you get audio.

-- Rich

imovie audio lost

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.