Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

headless mac mini M1

I am unable to access the login using screen sharing on my new Mac mini M1. Don’t know if this is Big Sur issue or hardware. This means using mini as a headless Mac is impossible. Anyone have a solution. Worked well with old mini and os Catalina.

Mac mini, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 22, 2020 12:42 PM

17 replies

Dec 1, 2020 6:34 PM in response to skinzy

I'm having the same issue. Funny thing is, if I boot up with the display emulator and a second monitor it shows up on the network and I can log in remotely and do screen sharing. Then if the second monitor is disconnected both of those continue to function. But if it's booted with only the emulator it never shows up on the network. So my initial workaround is to use a spare monitor when I boot it. A more elegant fix would of course be appreciated.

Dec 1, 2020 7:50 PM in response to skinzy

On more thing: I restored my user account and network from my old Imac time machine backup onto the mac mini M1

It set the name to "hostname (2)", which was not visible from the imac - until I removed the space in the name before (2) and rebooted.

Could the space in the host name be a problem?

I just retested without a monitor or keyboard on the mac mini m1 and can still remote log in from the iMac, reboot the M1 and remote log in again.

Dec 13, 2020 6:26 AM in response to skinzy

You may need to purchase one of the HDMI dummy plug that has its own graphic chip within it, and makes your mini believe that a display is connected. There are versions of this for DisplayPort too.

This is what I did for my headless 2011 Mac mini, and all that I enabled on it was screen sharing. On my main machine M1 mini, even with the firewall set to block all incoming connections, the Screen Sharing application opened that older mini display on my M1 mini 32 inch display with full M1 keyboard and mouse control. This is a Big Sur departure from earlier operating systems where. you had to disable that Block all incoming connections in the fire wall to get Screen Sharing to work.

Dec 22, 2020 10:00 PM in response to gwg2801

I run a dozen or so Mac minis in a headless mode. Your issue is common to all minis, not just the M1. The solution is to get a Fit-Headless HDMI dummy monitor. They simply plug into your HDMI port the mini thinks there is a monitor attached.

https://www.amazon.com/CompuLab-fit-Headless-Display-Emulator/dp/B00FLZXGJ6/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=Fit-Headless&qid=1608702540&sr=8-4#

There is also the Fit-Headless 4K. I would NOT recommend this one as it defaults to 4k mode and my experience is that it's difficult to configure them to something more practical for VNC or Remote Desktop. They have a driver that configures the 4K to whatever resolution you wish, but that's just more software to manage. The basic Fit-Headless requires no special driver and is a no-brainer. It's fixed at 1920x1080, which is enough but not too many pixels to push across the network.

Jan 23, 2021 1:50 PM in response to skinzy

The solution that I found to booting a headless M1 Mac Mini running Big Sur (v11) is to have a plugged-in keyboard or a previously-paired bluetooth keyboard handy. First, boot the Mini, then wait a minute or so until the login screen should be up (which you can't see without a monitor). Then, type in the Mini's password using the plugged-in or paired keyboard. This makes the Mini show up in the Network window on the remote Mac for screen sharing. I don't know why this is different behavior from older Mac Minis running an earlier OS, but it works if you have physical access to the Mini.

Note, you must have already activated Screen Sharing on the Mini previously with a monitor attached.

Your Mini will remotely display a 1920x1080 screen unless you have an HDMI dummy plug in the HDMI port that supports a greater resolution than that. (e.g., for 4K: https://www.amazon.com/Headless-Display-Emulator-Headless-1920x1080-Generation/dp/B06XT1Z9TF/).

headless mac mini M1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.