Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to make VNC Viewer on iPad connect with Mac (Big Sur) Screen Sharing before someone logs in?

I would like to use my iPad with VNC Viewer via Screen Sharing to control my Mac Mini. However, I've discovered that VNC Viewer cannot connect with the Mac after it's turned on or rebooted until after someone logs into it. Once I login, I *can* access the Mac via Bonjour or the Address Book entry I made in VNC. The VNC error I get before logging into the Mac seems to indicate that before that initial login the Mac is not listening on the Screen Sharing port. I suspect I could work around this issue by enabling auto login on the Mac, but to do that I would have to disable File Vault, which I'd rather not do.

So, my question is: is there a way to get the Mac to start listening on the Screen Sharing port (5900, I believe) and accept screen sharing requests after the machine boots up and before anyone logs into it? I don't want to disable File Vault and I don't want to leave the Mac running all the time.

TIA

Mac mini, macOS 11.3

Posted on May 21, 2021 11:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2021 5:48 AM

My guess is that it is FileVault. The OS isn't running to be listening to screen sharing. The initial login is to decrypt the drive, not a true login window.

My Mini listens for Screen Sharing without anyone logged in, but I don't have FileVault enabled.

I'm not sure of the security implications of allowing screen sharing to decrypt the volume.

Some information, here, with a possible solution if you are doing the restart over VNC: https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/217673/headless-mac-mini-share-screen-filevault

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2021 5:48 AM in response to J M Gross

My guess is that it is FileVault. The OS isn't running to be listening to screen sharing. The initial login is to decrypt the drive, not a true login window.

My Mini listens for Screen Sharing without anyone logged in, but I don't have FileVault enabled.

I'm not sure of the security implications of allowing screen sharing to decrypt the volume.

Some information, here, with a possible solution if you are doing the restart over VNC: https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/217673/headless-mac-mini-share-screen-filevault

How to make VNC Viewer on iPad connect with Mac (Big Sur) Screen Sharing before someone logs in?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.