Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Catalina native Screensharing app not working

I'm writing here to report a problem with native Screensharing app. It is not working anymore in Catalina.

I'm no more able to remotely see the Desktop of my Mac mini through Screensharing app on my MacBook Pro.

It works perfectly with third party apps on iOS, such as VNC in both scenarios of same network and over-the-internet, but macOS cannot do it.

I can only control my Mac mini if under the same network and from the button in finder. If I use the Screensharing app, nothing: it asks for user and password, but the windows shakes as if they are wrong.

One more thing: I posted the same problem some weeks ago and the post disappeared. It is no more in "My subscription". I will continue posting this until it will remain in the discussion forum.

Posted on Nov 3, 2019 1:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2020 3:25 AM

Hi bmc5311,

after various chats and calls with the Apple Support, I solved the problem.

It derives from unknown permissions mess-up, and also technical experts from the Apple support were unable to solve it through canonical permissions fixes.

First thing to try: Do the Apple Screen Sharing works with a different User and Password? If you do not have alternative accounts on your computer, create a new administrator account and try with its credentials. If it works, the problem is exactly the same I had: permissions.

I solved in this way:

1. Be sure to have a backup.
  2. Log-in with the alternative account you created before.
  3. Go to System Preferences > Users & Groups (not sure if it is the right name of the menu, I don't use English as main language)
  4. Delete your previous account, and select the option of keeping the user folder.
  5. Check that the user folder has the same name as before: maybe when deleting it would be added something like "deleted user". Rename the folder as it has to be: just the name of the user.
  6. Re-create your previous account, with the same name as before. A message saying that a folder already exists will pop-up, and choose to use that folder (I did it one months ago, don't remember exactly what it said).
  7. Before to log-in with your new account, right-click on the name and enter in "advanced options" (as stated before, don't know the exact words you may find in English, but it is the only option in the right-click menu), and check that the folder assigned to the user is exactly the folder of your previous account.
  8. Done!

After point 4 and before to log-in with your new account, reboot your computer.

Anyway, if with an alternative account you are still not able to make screen sharing work, I cannot ensure you that this solution will work.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 13, 2020 3:25 AM in response to bmc5311

Hi bmc5311,

after various chats and calls with the Apple Support, I solved the problem.

It derives from unknown permissions mess-up, and also technical experts from the Apple support were unable to solve it through canonical permissions fixes.

First thing to try: Do the Apple Screen Sharing works with a different User and Password? If you do not have alternative accounts on your computer, create a new administrator account and try with its credentials. If it works, the problem is exactly the same I had: permissions.

I solved in this way:

1. Be sure to have a backup.
  2. Log-in with the alternative account you created before.
  3. Go to System Preferences > Users & Groups (not sure if it is the right name of the menu, I don't use English as main language)
  4. Delete your previous account, and select the option of keeping the user folder.
  5. Check that the user folder has the same name as before: maybe when deleting it would be added something like "deleted user". Rename the folder as it has to be: just the name of the user.
  6. Re-create your previous account, with the same name as before. A message saying that a folder already exists will pop-up, and choose to use that folder (I did it one months ago, don't remember exactly what it said).
  7. Before to log-in with your new account, right-click on the name and enter in "advanced options" (as stated before, don't know the exact words you may find in English, but it is the only option in the right-click menu), and check that the folder assigned to the user is exactly the folder of your previous account.
  8. Done!

After point 4 and before to log-in with your new account, reboot your computer.

Anyway, if with an alternative account you are still not able to make screen sharing work, I cannot ensure you that this solution will work.

Feb 8, 2020 1:09 PM in response to Andreasonica

Thanks for the reply - but that seems really like overkill, deleting your whole user account? I figure someone from Apple should have been able to tell you what specific files to delete instead of going scorched earth. In any case, logging in as a different user didn't work for me, so I have not attempted the rest of the steps.

Isn't there an "Apple Genius" somewhere out there that can figure this out and provide a solution other than deleting your whole account?

Feb 9, 2020 1:24 AM in response to bmc5311

I know it sounds crazy, but sincerely after various days of attempts, hours spent on the phone and with the remote connection of the Support Team, deleting the existing account and re-creating one linked to the old user folder... less than 10 minutes and everything started working as usual.

the fact that you’re not able to screen share with a new user imply that it is something on the system level, not user.

have you checked that under system preferences / sharing / screen sharing the option is on for all users, non only those listed? Maybe it is set exclusively for your real user, thus a new one can’t do it. Check also for this, and try again with a new administrator user.

macOS Catalina native Screensharing app not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.